Aircraft Identification V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You can read part of serial number on the fin: O-4927...

The "O" means obsolete, so I think more than 10 years old. The complete number should read 44927... and the accident must have happened in 1954 or later (1959/60 would fit). I believe it was a DC-3/C-47 of some sort.

Krabat

...Concerning the one above it I'll give you some clues: it is definitely italian and was built in 1934 with a view of participating to the London/Melbourne race and...it remained a prototype!
If nobody knows I'll give you her name.
carson1934

Can't recognize it at the moment but something tells me maybe a Breda prototype...

Ciao

You can read part of serial number on the fin: O-4927...

The "O" means obsolete, so I think more than 10 years old. The complete number should read 44927... and the accident must have happened in 1954 or later (1959/60 would fit). I believe it was a DC-3/C-47 of some sort.

Krabat

I found the accident report - it is a Gooney Bird, serial 43-49271 with the O replacing the 43.

Can't recognize it at the moment but something tells me maybe a Breda prototype...

Ciao
I know this is a hard nut to crack. It is the Caproni Bergamaschi CAB PL/3 conceived by Ing. Pallavicino in 1934. If you can read french there is a fairly good report on this aircraft including technical features and blue prints on following http:
members.lycos.fr/wings2/archives/fiches%20_am/cab_pl3.jpg
I you canno read french just tell me and I will make a short translation for you.
Ciao
carson1934

Yeah, that would be good Carson, please do.

New one...don't be too quick to answer...:)

Hi Graeme
I hope this works because this is the second time I'm writing this translation:
Conceived by Ing. Pallavicino it was a derivative of fighter type AP-1 the wings of which were maintained whilst fuselage and empennages were modified.
Created to participate in the London-Melbourne race (Mac Robertson trophy) it flew in July 1934 piloted by italian ace Francis Lombardi while race to Melbourne was scheduled for October. The aircraft received registration number 61 but it couldn't be thoroughly tested before the race and therefore could not participate. Afterwards it was transferred to Guidonia to complete tests as it was expected to be used as fats mail plane or long distance racer. However nothing materialized and aircraft was finally scrapped.
Cockpit accommodated 2 pilots sitting side by side and forward visibility was scarce. It sported wooden wings and fuselage had a frame of steel tubes covered with metal plates at the front and fabric at the back. For the first time in Italy main landing gear was retracted rearwards into wings by means of a hand-operated hydraulic pump.
Technical features:
- Engine: Pratt Whitney "Hornet SD" - 700HP
- wing span: 11,90m
- length: 9m
- height: 2,78m
- wing area: 24m2
- empty weight: 1700kg
- total weight: 3500kg
- wingload factor: 145,80Kg/m2
- ground speed: 335km/h ; at 2000m: 360km/h; cruising speed at 4000m: 340km/h; landing speed using flaps: 110km/h
- ceiling: 6100m
- max. autonomy: 3100km
For blueprint and picture consult:archives aeronautiques en vrac
I hope above is satisfactory
carson1934

Yes Emilio, this must be a Bristol 138A.
May I remind you gentlemen that the record height for a propeller driven aircraft (which hasn't been beaten sofar) belongs to Major Mario Pezzi who on May 7th 1937 reached 15655m and on October 22nd 1938 reached 17083m with a biplane Caproni Ca/161.
An excellent article with pictures may be read (only in italian) on following website:
http://www.aliditalia.com/Ctepezzi.html
carson1934

attached a pic of an italian aircraft (probably racer) built in 1959 called L.A.R. GR/2.
Is there anybody in possession of technical data, blueprints, 3 view plans of the above? Also does anybody know what L.A.R. stands for ?
Thanks in advance:?: :?: :?:
carson1934

Attachments

• lar_gr-2[1].jpg
    lar_gr-2[1].jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 77
I found the accident report - it is a Gooney Bird, serial 43-49271 with the O replacing the 43.

Great! Can I find it online somewhere? I would like to know what happened.

To quote Krabat..."But I've got another one."

Damn, I'm getting predictable. Looks like I need new running gags. How about: "It's a tradition or an old charter or something..." :lol:

Krabat

Bristol 138A???
Yes Emilio, this must be a Bristol 138A.

Correct.

I hope above is satisfactory

Very much so. Thanks Carson.

attached a pic of an italian aircraft (probably racer) built in 1959 called L.A.R. GR/2.

I can't locate it Carson. Other than at Aviastar...

LAR GR.2 -

What strikes me as odd is that a country like Italy which was producing aerodynamic gems such as the Aviamilano Nibbo and Falco series in 1959 would produce such a machine with wheel spats?! Despite the registration is it possible that it's not Italian? The French were producing some odd aircraft during the fifties...

Correct.

Very much so. Thanks Carson.

I can't locate it Carson. Other than at Aviastar...

LAR GR.2 -

What strikes me as odd is that a country like Italy which was producing aerodynamic gems such as the Aviamilano Nibbo and Falco series in 1959 would produce such a machine with wheel spats?! Despite the registration is it possible that it's not Italian? The French were producing some odd aircraft during the fifties...

You are absolutely right Graeme.
It might not be italian though registered in Italy. What puzzles me most is that I cannot find track of any aeronautical factory called LAR.
It might have been a very small factory disappeared long ago which produced only this single plane.
carson1934:?: :?: :?:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back