Aircraft Names

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pilot Tordoff and his mechanics, from the US 353rd fg

Attachments

• tordoff-photo-crew-ue_588.jpg
    tordoff-photo-crew-ue_588.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 379
353rd fg ace W. Blickenstaff's a/c named after his wife. He claimed 1 Me 262

Attachments

• wayne_20k_20blickenstaff_411.jpg
    wayne_20k_20blickenstaff_411.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 329
This has always been one of my favorites. Sentimental Journey was a great song and the Betty Grable image was THE pin-up from WWII.

Attachments

• b17nasj_194.jpg
    b17nasj_194.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 296
CC it is not uncommon to have a couple of a/c with the same name. found this in the P-61 night fighter squadrons as an example. another Stang

Attachments

• rfreemansherman_205.jpg
    rfreemansherman_205.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 289
A Lancaster of RCAF 408 (Goose) Sqn. The name had been carried over from the Halifax bomber that was flown previously.
The Halifax had a woman of a different "style" painted next to the slogan, but I haven't been able to find a picture of it on-line. If I had a scanner I'd upload it.

Attachments

• vvv_135.jpg
    vvv_135.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 278
am I wrong to say that the chracter-pic on the Lanc is a bit oversized. I always thought that the nose art on RAF night bombers was rather small....

Why did Grumman choose to name its fighters after felid-type mammals and amphibious planes after birds, whereas Vought named its fighters after pirates?

Why did Grumman choose to name its fighters after felid-type mammals and amphibious planes after birds, whereas Vought named its fighters after pirates?
Why ?
Why did Bell name it's helicopters after indian ttribes
So did Piper.
About every aircraft maker around the world tries to give it's aircraft catchy, or sexy names, most popular seems to be after birds.
But there's only so many bird's names you can use.
So why ? They just did.

Why ?
Why did Bell name it's helicopters after indian ttribes
So did Piper.
About every aircraft maker around the world tries to give it's aircraft catchy, or sexy names, most popular seems to be after birds.
But there's only so many bird's names you can use.
So why ? They just did.
Did manufacturers decide the name in USA? Many just seemed to copy the UK assigned name, Martlet/Wildcat being an obvious and understandable exception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back