Aircraft Names

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"The Dragon And His Tail" was not a formation ship.

It went out on regular patrols and missions.

I guess the artists in the PTO could get away with noseart like that because "the brass" was so far away.

mc-ipro.jpg

mc-i.jpg

Jack Ilfrey flew both a P-38J and a P-51D that carried this name. Jack was very helpful to me when I was writing about the P-38 a few years ago. Jack passed away last year. I recommend his book, naturally titled Happy Jack's Go Buggy. Jack was one of the most interesting characters to serve in the AAF during the war.

My regards,

NAVAIR

agreed Navair !

Jack was a super guy to talk with, sent me a free multi signed copy of his book and later I ordered his P-51D hot rod print from friend Tom Tullis. As you said it was quite a blow to hear of the news of Jack's passing....

do you know whom is the 20th fg representative now ?

Erich ~

a little Deutsche Edition

Raubautz VII flown by ace Klaus Bretschneider, Staffelkapitän of 5.Sturm/JG 300

Attachments

• fw190arote1_687.jpg
    fw190arote1_687.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 429
one more from the same staffel. JG 300 pilots applied numerous whimsical sayings as well as name of their sweeties, of courseso did other Luftwaffe units....

Ace Konrad Bauer before he was seriously wlounded and sent out of action in 1944. His Fw 190A-8 "Kornjark"

Attachments

• bauerrote3a_135.jpg
    bauerrote3a_135.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 379
a chap from my north end of the woods. Kelly Gross which flew a Jug as well as a P-51 D named "Live Bait" in the 354th fg., 9th AF

Attachments

• capt_20clayton_20kelly_20gross_20355th_20_20fs_201945_163.jpg
    capt_20clayton_20kelly_20gross_20355th_20_20fs_201945_163.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 363
friend in the 78th fg Dick Hewitt flying his hot rod "Big Dick"

Attachments

• mxuhewittp51_149.jpg
    mxuhewittp51_149.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 388
Erich, I was looking at a book about a -190 group and I briefly saw a picture of a -190 with an amusing name. I cant remember the name of the book, but I remember the -190 was flying around late summer/early fall 1944, based in western Germany, possibly near Holland.

The plane was named (in latin) "I came, I saw, I ran away".

You ever see or hear of a -190 with that name?

In Latin ? interesting.....no I haven't. The Würger staffel of JV 44 had some different Bayersiche dialect sayings on the left side of the fuselage under the canopy all in the Alt Deutsche Schrift in white.

E still hunting for some more originals and I am sure Navair can help out

The formation ship that runs through my mind was painted with brightly colored circles all over the airframe. It was a B-24 also. Dont know the name.

yellow with red spots was from the 491st bg adn named The Little Gramper.

brown with yellow spots was from the 489th bg and named Lil Cookie

white with red, black and yellow spots with half the front fuselage in white, the rear in brown, grey, the a/c has an eye and mouth with teeth and it is from the 458th bg, and is probably the a/c you speak of ~ aka wonder bread machine

hey more Deutsche a/c

Ernst Schroder flew in 5th staffel of JG 300 a standard Fw 190A-8 and "Kolle Lauf" on the left side and his sweetie Edelgard on the right side

Attachments

• rot19d_132.jpg
    rot19d_132.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 266
"Muschi" flown by this pilot with his Wart of 6.Sturm/JG 300, yellow 12

Attachments

• gelbe12_309.jpg
    gelbe12_309.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 281
Muschi in fact will be the cover foto for the EE released volume 2 on JG 300. that volume will have heavy emphasis on the SturmFw gruppe as it's prime source until spring of 45 when there will be a large section delaing with III./JG 300's fight against the Soviets and the last days of the unit.

another SturmFw from 6th staffel. Yellow 5, "Titt Wau Wau" hard to read on the Panzerplatten which is at least 5mm thick of steel plate on both sides of the fuselage tow ard off US point. 50 cal rounds. It was very successful for pilot protection but of course added weight meant the SturmFw was a dog in fighter vs fighter combat. I have a small 12 by 15 inch section of armor plate and it feels like it weighs 50 pounds ....

Attachments

• gelbe5_190.jpg
    gelbe5_190.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 269
I Like this one. A fun play on words.

Picture doesnt show it very well, but thats a fence the lady is hung up on.

B24 of the 380th BG

Attachments

• onde-fense_119.jpeg
    onde-fense_119.jpeg
    19.3 KB · Views: 272

Users who are viewing this thread

Back