Airfix's Spitfire FR Mk XIV Mojo Builder

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
The sporadic progress on my Gladiator for GB 45 as I waited for putty to dry caused me to look for something in my stash that would keep me busy and motivated. Yeah, I have lots of unfinished kits on the naughty shelf but, frankly, these certainly don't appeal to me as alternatives at this point. Anson and Fairey Battle? Too ugly and challenging. Wellington? Too complex. USS Princeton? Too much research and stock-taking to get back into it at this time. Not to mention my CF-5A and CF-18 aborted efforts. It was time for something new and exciting!!!!

Introducing Airfix's 1/48 Spitfire FR Mk XIV, the long-awaited new tool kit of this under-represented Spitfire mark. The hype is now long over and many builds and reviews have already taken place so this kit is not so new any more. The kit has its warts but has some decent detail and seems dimensionally accurate so it will hopefully be a welcome fall-back to the more challenging Gladiator, which I will continue to work on of course. I will build it using the kit's decals for the 414 Squadron RCAF scheme "Lazy Lady V" flown by James Pendergast.

A05135_Supermarine-Spitfire-XIV_PRODUCT-ARTWORK_1_1.jpg

My pocket book has taken a beating with the recent stock market fiasco so my wish to maybe buy and use some of the really nice EXITO decals for this kit will remain as just that - a wish. Also, the kit being a bit of a fallback to my more complex builds, I will be building it with the canopy closed so will not spend a lot of time upgrading the cockpit except for items that will be quite visible. Anyway, let's get on with the show. The first impression when looking at the large parts on the sprues is that the details look quite nice, though Airfix's penchant for wide and deep panel lines is well represented here.

20031304.jpg

The plastic is a bit weird, being somewhat soft and "springy" but the moulded details do come out crisp and neat. I tried using a piece of the sprue for heat-stretching and it broke easily so it definitely is a compound that I'm not used to. Close inspection of the smaller parts shows an annoying amount of flash - somewhat disappointing for a new tool kit but not a show stopper.

20031301.jpg

Construction starts in the cockpit (wow, really!?) and here we have a unique take on this area. Airfix provides a complete tub that includes bottom framing that would be visible through the "floor". Below we have both tub halves with the trim wheel, throttle, and undercarriage selector glued in place.

20031302.jpg

The seat comes in 4 parts and is secured to the armoured plate, something that not all manufacturers include. The all-important frame 11 is nicely detailed though the lightening holes need to be drilled out as is the case for every other Spitfire that I've built. The slot in the head armour is also moulded shut so I drilled this out too.

20031303.jpg

My understanding is that the Mk XIV seat went back to the brown resin material so I'll be painting it that way unless someone has info to the contrary.

I'll post some updates periodically and appreciate your interest and support.

Good start, and looking forward to the build progress.
Yes, the Mk.XIV used the 'resin' seat, although it's entirely possible that some may have had the metal seat fitted at unit level, for pilot preference, following reports of the 'resin' seat collapsing or suffering cracks etc, during high 'g' manouvres.

Good start Andy. This may be one of the Indian made kits. I've heard about the difference in their plastic and quality control issues

Certainly seems to be a combination of metal and resin, and with a 'modern' (1960's /'70's) harness fitting.
Haven't seen that type of construction before, and the flare rack seems a little odd for the period. If this is a restoration, perhaps the seat being used is whatever was available ?

Thanks guys. Terry, I'd need to follow up on the provenance of that seat, but regardless, I went with the full phenol look as seen below. This short update shows that I've puked on some paint and started a bit of weathering. Placards, and other details have yet to be picked out.

20031504.jpg

Nice stuff Andy.

re the seat. it is a restored /updated seat but it is just painted green in parts, it doesn't contain any unusual metal as far as I know except for PERHAPS a metal plate repair on the top right rear (see last three pics). Not sure whether the flare rack was added in error or whether it was taken originally from a Seafire. In any case, you are perfectly proper in using straight resin for the model! Note the third seat is from a Seafire (flare gun holder on starboard). But the first pic also has the flare rack.

1584341538399.png

Re the seat.
1584341137782.png

1584341200806.png

1584341234243.png

1584341273419.png

1584341588983.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Hugh.

Just finished off the pit. This is the first kit that I've encountered that includes a bulkhead in front of the pedals. It's a nice addition but practically invisible. In the below two pics, frame 11 with the seat is just dry fit into place to check the fit. Everything else is glued.

20031701.jpg
20031702.jpg

One omission, and one that is visible through the closed hood and therefore worth adding, is a bar attached to the head armour to drape the seat belts. This was a simple add using rod and sheet.

20031703.jpg

I found an old set of late RAF Eduard PE belts so used these to complete the pit. The seat assembly is now glued into place.

20031704.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Always liked the Griffon nose and bubble canopy ;) Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back