Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Regarding post #1358 ,

Any idea what are those numbers with L?

L.18836 for Uffz. Haar & L.38819 for Uffz. Berning .

Minensuchgruppe Mausi,Ungarn 1944 Karl Matula 05-10-1944 Thursday

1658749686652.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I visited the Bomber Command memorial in Lincoln yesterday and amongst the memorial plaques was the following, which is clearly unusual.

Does anyone know anything about him?

Bomber Command Memorial.jpg

Ofw Jakob Granderath

26./27.12.1944
5./NJG 3
Raum Süd - Belgien
Feindflug: ja
Ju 88 G-1 Werknr.: 714393
Ofw. Jakob Granderath vermißt
Fw. Johannes Wieseler vermißt
Ogefr. Hans Ziegler vermißt
Ogefr. Emil Piontek vermißt
Vom Feindflug nicht zurückgekehrt.

a rather old note (info received before 2000) is mentioned that J.Wieseler died at Opgrimbie and is buried as unknown at the German War Cemetery at Lommel. It is possible that he was the Bordfunker of Ju88G-1 w/nr. 714393 of 5./NJG3 which went missing during the night of 26-27/12/1944. The pilot (Jakob Granderath – buried as unknown at Lommel) and the two other crewmembers (Hans Ziegler – buried as unknown at Lommel - and Emil Piontek) are also still missing.

1659264117196.png

1659264144279.png

If they know their names and their info, why are they listed as MIA and Unknown?

And as a general question: Is it legally possible to do any kind of ID tests (DNA, for example) to the bones? Pretty sure they might have some relatives!

If they know their names and their info, why are they listed as MIA and Unknown?

And as a general question: Is it legally possible to do any kind of ID tests (DNA, for example) to the bones? Pretty sure they might have some relatives!
I'll try to answer this as best I can.
Initially, they would have been recorded in Luftwaffe records as not having returned from a 'Feindflug'. That would certainly have been via the loss returns submitted to the Quartermaster's section of the German Air Ministry. At unit level a 'Namentliche Verlustmeldung' (Names loss list) should also have been completed for the missing crew. BUT, at that time of the war, and with the Germans in retreat, it might not have been done, or it would have simply stated 'missing'. The bodies obviously were found, and if they were found by locals, almost certainly buried without them knowing who the aircrew were. To the Luftwaffe, they were simply missing, with no idea of where they came down, and ergo no correlation to their actual burial.
That's my best shot at it.

William Hastings P-51D-15-NA 44-15613 Peaches 336th Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Group

1659348247926.png

1659348260865.png

1659348269938.png

Sorry, Snautzer,

I can't place the face. I suspect he was in the CBI - I can't remember any B/C models being flown in SoPac, SWPA, or CentPac. That narrows the search to the 23rd, 51st, and 311th fighter groups or possibly the 5318th Provisional Unit/1st Air Commando Group.

With all the interest in aces and their aircraft, I'm surprised we haven't seen more photos of this pilot.

Cheers,

Dana

Stanley E Chappele p-51

Assigned to 38FS, 55FG, 8AF USAAF. 16 x combat missions. Bailed out due to mechanical failure 19-Mar-45 rescued by civilian and then by Air Sea Rescue Returned to Duty (RTD).
Failed to Return (FTR) fighter support to Lippstadt in P-51 44-72080 shot down by Me109 crashed near Soest 24-Mar-45 Prisoner of War (POW) MACR 13438.

Awards: POW, WWII Victory, EAME.

1659519960098.png

1659519978200.png

A question in my mind:

Are these photos (in general) belong to the family / Friend's of these guys? Or come from Collectors / veterans? Or by other sources? Most likely journalists!

Is there anyway, legally or illegally, to give these items (photos, medals, ect.)to the family of rightful owner?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back