"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (6 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I second that. Notice we are talking old Hornets here, not the newer superhornets.

However that should only be the start ... Canada, Finland, Spain should follow pace, all of them have some F-18 that are about to be retired soon.
E.g.:

Why scrap if you can recycle. And why recycle if you can reuse.
The Canadian and Finnish ones are not due to be replaced fully until -2030. The Spanish ones 2037.

If the dam was mined by the russians, which is really possible, then a structural failure in the dam may have caused these explosives to detonate, massivly widening the breach in short time.
Whats strange are the massive breaches left and right from turbine house with a small breach right through the turbine house

Last edited:
Australian M113AS4 'Ute' variant in use in Ukraine:

View attachment 724227
There's no vehicle in existence that the Aussies can't Ute.

40516123511_638a45e69d_b.jpg

a2q44a13sov41.png

The Canadian and Finnish ones are not due to be replaced fully until -2030. The Spanish ones 2037.
Spain bought 2 batches of F-18
A 1rst batch of 72 EF-18A and EF-18B (EF-18A/B is the version McDonellDouglas built for Spain based on the F/A-18A/B).
A second batch of 24 F/A-18A/B that was bought second hand directly from US Navy.

The first batch was modernized to EF-18M in 2009

The second batch is due for replacement and it has already been approved the program to buy 20 Euro-Fighters to replace them (programa Halcon).
It is expected that the remaining 20 F/A-18A/B (4 have been lost) are retired in 2024. Timing is perfect to send them to Ukraine, why not retire them a few months earlier.

As for the EF-18M what i heard is they they will be replaced by a mix of Eurofighters and F-35. After all Spain has to buy a few F-35 to replace its aging Harriers anyway.
I don't know where you got the 2037 date, but I think they will start to be retired well before the end of this decade.

Spain bought 2 batches of F-18
A 1rst batch of 72 EF-18A and EF-18B (EF-18A/B is the version McDonellDouglas built for Spain based on the F/A-18A/B).
A second batch of 24 F/A-18A/B that was bought second hand directly from US Navy.

The first batch was modernized to EF-18M in 2009

The second batch is due for replacement and it has already been approved the program to buy 20 Euro-Fighters to replace them (programa Halcon).
It is expected that the remaining 20 F/A-18A/B (4 have been lost) are retired in 2024. Timing is perfect to send them to Ukraine, why not retire them a few months earlier.

As for the EF-18M what i heard is they they will be replaced by a mix of Eurofighters and F-35. After all Spain has to buy a few F-35 to replace its aging Harriers anyway.
I don't know where you got the 2037 date, but I think they will start to be retired well before the end of this decade.
I got the 2037 date direct from the Spanish Air Force during a meeting with them and all other Hornet operators late last year.

They may want to explain how Ukraine broke through the Russian lines, made it a good number of miles behind their lines, were able to get on the bridge, place a lot of explosives in just the right place, and make it all the way home again without being spotted.
Clearly the work of the Azov mother/daughter team.

Timing is perfect to send them to Ukraine, why not retire them a few months earlier.
I'd rather we just expedited F-16s. It's not for lack of aircraft that Ukraine has been denied NATO-origin fighters until now. My vote is as a reaction to Russia's latest war crime we send the first, if only a symbolic few F-16s this month. And release ATACAMS tomorrow - target 1, Kerch bridge.

Some positive F-16 news today…

Last edited:
Some very interesting goings on around Bakhmut. Several pro-Russian/pro-Wagner accounts (notably Rybar) are reporting rapid Ukrainian advances to the north of the city, into the town of Berkhivka or even beyond it.

Ukrainian forces reportedly overran defensive points between a couple of water features and then penetrated at least another 1 km, if not further. This is territory that Russia only took about 6 weeks ago.

If the Russian accounts are true (and that's a big IF), it puts a large section of the Russian line under immense pressure. In particular, Russian troops who have been advancing Northwest from Dubovo-Vasylivka would have their main supply route cut. There could be a very rapid volte face for troops there, collapsing the salient.

Of course, this could just be Wagner linked milbloggers spreading shit. But, Rybar has been reasonably accurate with its mapping, so that's something to consider.

I got the 2037 date direct from the Spanish Air Force during a meeting with them and all other Hornet operators late last year.
Its perfectly plausible that 2037 is the date when the last replacement aircraft is delivered to the Spanish Air Force (be it a Eurofighter or a F-35). But that does not mean the F-18 can't start the retirement phase much earlier. Those planes have been flying since the mid eighties.

As an example, in the particular case of the Halcon program, Spanish Airforce will buy 20 Eurofighters (tranche 4) to replace the ex-USNavy A/F-18 stationed in Canary Islands. The F-18s already started to be retired (reportedly in 2021) and are expected to complete retirement by 2024 (2025 at most). However the first delivery of Eurofighter replacements is not expected until 2026 and deliveries will last until 2030. So it's almost a decade since retirement starts until last replacement arrives.

Also there is an ongoing project named Halcon 2 (not yet approved by government) for 25 additional Eurofighters to partially start replacing some of the modernized EF-18M. If approved, the production phase for Halcon 2 will span from 2030 to 2034. That is why I'm sure that retirement will start earlier than 2030.

What happens with the other EF-18M gets a little bit fuzzier. Spanish navy has to replace Harriers so its an opportunity for the air force to get also some F-35 to complement the growing Eurofighther fleet. There are rumors that Spain may buy 25 F-35B for the Navy and 25 F-35A for the airforce. But there is no official program yet, so it just may be wishful thinking by the armed forces. In general, government tends to favor local production of European hardware due to obvious benefits in terms of industrial base and job generation, even if its detrimental in terms of military capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back