"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The "Olenegorsky Gornyak" is a Ropucha Class landing ship. Here are some basic specs to get an idea of the size and role of this vessel:

I share because it can be tricky to get a sense of the size of the ship given that she's being towed by a pretty huge tug.

UPDATE: It's also worth noting the age of these vessels. The two youngest were commissioned in 1986 and 1987. All others of the class were commissioned before March 1979. The "Olenegorsky Gornyak" was commissioned in June 1976. Those are some pretty old tubs.

Last edited:
The russians did destroy all ukraininan drones, they just used the ships's hull for the last one.
If they now have three of those ships badly damaged they could cannibalize two of them to get the third back into the water.
Or they just don't care about these old ships anymore. They can't mount an amphib landing anyway.

Last edited:
That 'phib's stability is looking kinda ... marginal. It definitely looks worse in the clip from the starboard bow, but it's tough to detemine if that is more recent than the original clip

The damage looks to be substantial:

87027dab3dd8a7d67317d341d76fc636.jpg

It also looks like the tugs were trying to beach it, too.

Here's the article the image came from:

The russians did destroy all ukraininan drones, they just used the ships's hull for the last one.
If they now have three of those ships badly damaged they could cannibalize two of them to get the third back into the water.
Or they just don't care about these old ships anymore. They can't mount an amphib landing anyway.
I find it interesting that looking at the video of the drone reaching the ship:-

a) The drone was going quite slowly
b) It wasn't under fire

I find it interesting that looking at the video of the drone reaching the ship:-

a) The drone was going quite slowly
b) It wasn't under fire
Agreed.

What surprised me, is that a warship of that size (and mission) would certainly have surface search radar aboard.

Is this yet another shining example of Russian training and competence?

Or was it that they felt secure in their anchorage and didn't feel like being alert was nessecary?

Last time I checked, they are at war regardless of what their Imperious Leader calls it and most navies in such a situation would have all stations manned and alert 'round the clock...

Agreed.

What surprised me, is that a warship of that size (and mission) would certainly have surface search radar aboard.

Is this yet another shining example of Russian training and competence?

Or was it that they felt secure in their anchorage and didn't feel like being alert was nessecary?

Last time I checked, they are at war regardless of what their Imperious Leader calls it and most navies in such a situation would have all stations manned and alert 'round the clock...
The expression comes to me .."Sitting there fat, dumb, & happy."

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back