"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again."

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In the Daily Telegraph today there is a story of the Russian 4th Guards Tank Division which is recognised as being a first line unit being destroyed in battle in the town of Trostyanets.

There are a couple of interesting points about this.

1) The first is that this is one of the elite units and would have been well equipped with the best equipment available
2) Second, the battle took place only 15 miles from the Russian Border so its fair to assume that the lack of supplies wouldn't have been as bad as those units deep in the Ukraine
3) Being so close to the border you would have expected air support and reinforcements to be available
4) Russia captured the town on the 1st March and would have had plenty of time to prepare the town for defence
5) The division broke, leaving a lot of equipment, stores and supplies behind including a fully equipped and operation field kitchen

Put this lot together and the picture isn't good for Putin. If a unit like this can suffer this kind of reverse think what would happen to a replacement unit thrown together at short notice

So now this begs the question:
How well prepared are Putler's nuclear forces?

It's clear that post-Soviet Russia's forces (land/sea/air) have suffered due to lack of funding, corruption, inept training and have proven to fall far short of his boasts and claims.

His saber-rattling with nukes (just as he did with his military) may ultimately be his last ditch effort since nothing else is working in his favor, yes, but has the system and equipment been kept free of corruption and slip-shod maintenance?
What degree of training has the the personnel received?
The list of questions goes on, but the bottom line is, do those things even work?

I don't want to find out if they do, of course. However, seeing the piss-poor performance of the mighty Russian military so far, this has crossed my mind.

Kinda reminds me of the RCAF's CF-18's

Our member J_P_C could probably expand on this.

Regardless of their condition, shouldn't it be up to the Ukrainians to determine whether these aircraft can be brought back into service or cannibalized instead of some politician? I heard Jen Psaki talk about them the other day and she used the term "Fully Mission Capable" like she was trying to pronounce something in Chinese!

What is hilarious is knowing that it doesn't matter if they do or not. They're in a spot where the Russian's will be eating themselves in hate and fear over who is and who isn't a spy Putler will kill his best out of fear of them.

No matter what happens in the long term, Ukraine has already won.

"Despite the massive Russian attack, Ukraine's air defense also set a record for this war in the number of missiles it shot down in one day, as only eight of the 70 missiles fired by Russia engaged their targets, according to The Insider."

Read more: Russia Spent Half Billion in Missile Attacks Day Biden Spoke | Newsmax.com

Mig-29 story in PAF is difficult to explain simple way. First - technical side - instead of seeing this as one type we should rather think about this as a separate 2-3 subvariants with different modification level. As any other soviet origin military equipment this airplane tybe have been and still is source of headache for PAF because of lack or very limited support from manufacturer side. Enough to mention that all mdifications made during 35 years of service have been done without OKB MIG support, all spares during last more than 15 years have been sourced indirectly - most of it from Belarus or ... Ukraine. I think this comments indirectly answering on your question related to combat readiness of this equipment. Note : technical condition is not equal to combat readiness - it is just one of it's numerous factors.

Thank you for this detained insight and I'm not surprised by your comments. Again, if this equipment was made available barring any agreements within NATO or Russia, shouldn't end user (Ukraine) make the final decision if it's worth their time and effort to pursue this equipment?

Users who are viewing this thread