"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The road in the video is on a raised roadbed and is typical of the area. Once off road it is problematic as to getting a heavy tracked or wheeled vehicle back on the road like that - not even counting if the the ground is still soft.

Also, depending on what the RF prior experience has been so far, they may have standing orders not to leave the road immediately. Standard training back in the early 1980s was (if possible) to lay mines off the road in the area where the ambush (whether by artillery or direct fire) was to take place. Depending on what material you had, if you could you might place a mine or 2 on the road, and a bunch off the road in the areas where you figured they would go off-road. Once the front of the column is stopped the rest of the column slows down or stops, making it easier to target them with artillery. Precision large artillery rounds can take the place of the mines on the road as a goad to move off-road.

Being inside a buttoned-up tank (after the first 1 or 2 artillery rounds anyway) under artillery fire makes it very difficult to know what the tactical situation is - the visibility from inside most tanks is atrocious. My understanding is that the majority (80%-90%) of the RF tanks and APC/IFVs do not have thermal sights/observation sets. With the smoke and dust from the explosions you may not even be able to see the road in front of you. Deploying smoke in a direct fire engagement would nearly always make sense. Deploying smoke in the situation in the video might make the tanker's situational awareness even worse (unless the intent was to abandon the vehicle and run away or find cover).

It appears to me that their only options were to advance down the road or retreat back up the road. And in fact the one IFV/APC at first tried to speed up the road in the lower left part of the screen, later appearing going back the way it came. Did anyone else notice the rear units in the column speeding back the way they had come (upper right area toward the end of the video)?

I counted as least 6 destroyed vehicles in the still shots at the end of the video.

Last edited:
Found this feed: Russian news in English:

Evidently they are on the radio in Washington DC.

Use caution with Sputnik - it's a state owned news agency, and not a particularly reliable one, even by Russian standards.

I work for an independent aviation/aerospace media outfit, and Sputnik is flagged red (the worst category) on our sourcing database. The description is "questionable source - never use unless confirmed by other independent sources".

On the other hand, an example of the corruption level in russia.

I wonder if Russian nuclear weapons still have some Plutonium left, lol.

Not sure if it has been previously discussed here. Being an aircraft forum maybe even in another thread. But it's certainly puzzling me.

Russian Mig-29 with civilian GPS attached
Mig-29-Swifts-on-Kuznetsov.jpg

Russian Su-34 with civilian Garmin entry level GPS
E7jXOPZXoAUroWn.jpg

Russian Su-25SM3 with another civilian Garmin GPS
b1f8c120bb834344895c1dea5ec6e585.jpg

Definitely, it may become Chornobaivka season 2. For those who don't know about Chornobaivka a quick summary: Airport in Kherson controlled by Russians. Russians use it as equipment depot and Ukrainians shell it. Rinse and repeat. I think they iterated up to 18 times so far. 2022 Chornobaivka attacks - Wikipedia

FSc3E-3XMAEYNEi?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

Not sure if it has been previously discussed here. Being an aircraft forum maybe even in another thread. But it's certainly puzzling me.

Russian Mig-29 with civilian GPS attached
View attachment 667851

Russian Su-34 with civilian Garmin entry level GPS
View attachment 667852

Russian Su-25SM3 with another civilian Garmin GPS
View attachment 667853

Love that second one - the Garmin held on with a "dime store" g clamp. Great for the compass, especially of the clamp is magnetic.

1652266846803.png

They killed generals in Kherson but I highly doubt they will get some in Snake island. But killing some naval vessels is not bad either. They just have to absolutely prevent AA defense system from reaching the island. I fear a bit the russians may try larger reinforce ops in bad weather

Russia planning to annex new areas of Ukraine, U.S. intelligence finds

I think if annexation goes ahead Ukraine will have a very hard time regaining these territories in the eventual peace negotiations.

UK strikes new security agreement with Sweden and Finland

NATO will be next I assume.

It is interesting to see how Putin has made Britain's military a top priority. British Generals and Admirals likely raised a glass to Galtieri in 1982 and again to Putin in 2022.

The road in the video is on a raised roadbed and is typical of the area. Once off road it is problematic as to getting a heavy tracked or wheeled vehicle back on the road like that - not even counting if the the ground is still soft.

Also, depending on what the RF prior experience has been so far, they may have standing orders not to leave the road immediately. Standard training back in the early 1980s was (if possible) to lay mines off the road in the area where the ambush (whether by artillery or direct fire) was to take place. Depending on what material you had, if you could you might place a mine or 2 on the road, and a bunch off the road in the areas where you figured they would go off-road. Once the front of the column is stopped the rest of the column slows down or stops, making it easier to target them with artillery. Precision large artillery rounds can take the place of the mines on the road as a goad to move off-road.

Being inside a buttoned-up tank (after the first 1 or 2 artillery rounds anyway) under artillery fire makes it very difficult to know what the tactical situation is - the visibility from inside most tanks is atrocious. My understanding is that the majority (80%-90%) of the RF tanks and APC/IFVs do not have thermal sights/observation sets. With the smoke and dust from the explosions you may not even be able to see the road in front of you. Deploying smoke in a direct fire engagement would nearly always make sense. Deploying smoke in the situation in the video might make the tanker's situational even worse (unless the intent was to abandon the vehicle and run away or find cover).

It appears to me that their only options were to advance down the road or retreat back up the road. And in fact the one IFV/APC at first tried to speed up the road in the lower left part of the screen, later appearing going back the way it came. Did anyone else notice the rear units in the column speeding back the way they had come (upper right area toward the end of the video)?

I counted as least 6 destroyed vehicles in the still shots at the end of the video.

True enough. Agree entirely with everything you said. It just seemed like the Russian forces took a long time to respond, and the response appeared disjointed. As you observed, one vehicle seemed to speed up to try and escape the field of fire but others stopped and clustered. It just seemed to me that their tactical drills weren't very well practiced.

Again, some of this comes down to armoured convoys proceeding without support. As you note, situational awareness from within a buttoned-up tank is abysmal. Armour needs ride-along infantry or other overwatch capabilities (e.g. drones) to provide command awareness so that responses can be correctly coordinated.

Armour needs ride-along infantry or other overwatch capabilities (e.g. drones) to provide command awareness so that responses can be correctly coordinated.
The Russians need to sort out how to jam these UAF drones.

And where are the Russian's attack helicopters and their own drones? Why aren't the Russians modifying their tactics in the face of these continued drone guided losses? Unless.... these vids are the exception, that most Russian tank columns get through to their objectives without issue. Confirmation bias and wishful thinking is strong.

Interesting quotes from Russian newspapers about Putin's Victory Day speech:

"Our soldiers and officers are saving the world from Nazism, just like our grandfathers and our great grandfathers once did," declares the tabloid Komsomolskaya Pravda.

The pro-Kremlin press continues to promote the false Kremlin narrative that Russia sent its troops into Ukraine to fight Nazis, who are supposedly being backed by the West.

"Hitler's former allies are now arming Ukraine," writes Komsomolskaya Pravda. "The whole of Europe armed Hitler, just like it's arming Zelensky. The economic power of Europe worked for the German fascists. Today it's working for Ukrainian Nazis."

The language is extraordinary. But the objective is clear.

The Russian authorities want the Russian public to think of President Zelensky - Ukraine's Jewish President - as a Hitler-like figure to justify the Kremlin's military operation.

What will be Vladimir Putin's next move in Ukraine? Moskovsky Komsomolets concludes:

"He's not about to retreat. He's prepared for a long, protracted fight. He doesn't care how long it takes."

The language really is quite breathtaking. Let's ignore for a moment that, apart from the pact with fascist Italy, the closest thing Hitler had to an Ally in Europe in 1939 was the USSR (Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact). Also, suggesting that the US and UK armed Hitler and hence were allies of the Nazis is so laughable it's beyond belief. Unfortunately, if that's the only message that ever reaches Russian eyes/ears, then it's likely to be believed.

So beautiful !!! Can't stop watching again and again.

Interior of another T-72B3 penetrated by a hollow charge. Notice western equipment, which explains why sanctions may have stopped production.
Anyone knows what is that Thales box? Doesn't seem anything particularly sophisticated.
View attachment 667875

The pieces of human flesh at the bottom are a gruesome reminder of the horrors of war.

Use caution with Sputnik - it's a state owned news agency, and not a particularly reliable one, even by Russian standards.

I work for an independent aviation/aerospace media outfit, and Sputnik is flagged red (the worst category) on our sourcing database. The description is "questionable source - never use unless confirmed by other independent sources".
Thanks. I figured that as well. I believe Sputnik is the only one still operating in the US.

Interior of another T-72B3 penetrated by a hollow charge. Notice western equipment, which explains why sanctions may have stopped production.
Anyone knows what is that Thales box? Doesn't seem anything particularly sophisticated.
I may have found the answer in this 2014 tweet.
If they are right this is Thales fire control. Still not sure about its exact mission and functionality¡. Anyone Tank savvy?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back