"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kherson counteroffensive seems to be moving forward

Also there are unsubstantiated rumors that UAF pretended to abandon Severodonetsk, and started a counterattack. Reportedly, they feigned a retreat and lured Russians into a trap. Now they've cut off part of the Russian force in Severodonetsk. Heavy losses on the Russian side. No idea if this is true or just Ukrainian propaganda.

From your link:

According to Oryx, an online investigations project, as of June 1, Russia has lost at least 13 heavy 120-millimeter mortars, at least 61 towed pieces (including 152-millimeter 2A65 Msta-B howitzers), 121 self-propelled pieces (including heavy 152-millimeter 2S19 Msta-S) and at least 69 multiple launch rocket systems (MLRS).

A large percentage of lost units were captured by Ukraine.

But Ukraine's military falls far behind in terms of quantities of artillery and rocket pieces in the field, as well as in terms of munitions available. According to multiple reports from the war zone of Donbas, Russia's expenditure on munitions in combat is several times bigger than that of Ukraine's.

Now that Russia's all-out war has entered its fourth month, Ukraine is struggling with munitions shortage. Especially when it comes to Soviet-made multiple launch rocket systems like 220-millimeter BM-27 Uragan and 300-millimeter BM-30 Smerch.

Now that Russia's all-out war has entered its fourth month, Ukraine is struggling with munitions shortage. Especially when it comes to Soviet-made multiple launch rocket systems like 220-millimeter BM-27 Uragan and 300-millimeter BM-30 Smerch.
I imagine a lot of the ex-Soviet artillery will need to be abandoned and spiked once ammunition runs out. Hopefully before then the Ukrainians have replacement guns and ammunition from the West. There's likely many an ex-Warsaw Pact quartermaster digging through their stores for whatever ammunition can be found.

What's the railway and road network from Poland to Ukraine looking like? I expect that even when they're in good shape and trucks and consists are available it would take a week to get something from Poland to the front.

I imagine a lot of the ex-Soviet artillery will need to be abandoned and spiked once ammunition runs out. Hopefully before then the Ukrainians have replacement guns and ammunition from the West. There's likely many an ex-Warsaw Pact quartermaster digging through their stores for whatever ammunition can be found.

What's the railway and road network from Poland to Ukraine looking like? I expect that even when they're in good shape and trucks and consists are available it would take a week to get something from Poland to the front.
non profit supporters are trucking food from Poland to Kharkov two days both ways, ambulances transporting wounded soldiers from Lvov hospitals to Warszawa during one day - it means it is not so bad....

Agreed, donor Soviet-era equipment will have a limited shelf-life due to ammo concerns. Do any ex-WP nations have ammunition-manufacture set up? If not, it's a smoke 'em if you got 'em situation.

Right. I don't know how well the Ukrainian rail net is holding up. But I did read a couple of weeks ago that the Russians were targeting switchyards and bridges with their missile strikes in order to hamper the arrival of Western aid, which is of course the sensible military thing to do.

It depends on the location. To the south, 2-3 days. To the east - longer as nights are short now, infrastructure is damaged and some parts of the network are under constant surveillance and artillery fire.

H I Sutton discovered "dark" merchant vessels near Sevastopol.
Ukrainian Navy looked again and noticed something else. Two Russian Navy ships were between those vessels and the shore.

This area near Luybimovka was used earlier as a missile launch site as can be seen in this video.

Merchant vessels as a protective screen?

Kherson counteroffensive seems to be moving forward

Also there are unsubstantiated rumors that UAF pretended to abandon Severodonetsk, and started a counterattack. Reportedly, they feigned a retreat and lured Russians into a trap. Now they've cut off part of the Russian force in Severodonetsk. Heavy losses on the Russian side. No idea if this is true or just Ukrainian propaganda.

Don't you just hope that its true,

Seems the counteroffensive rumours had some truth in them.

It seems counter attack caught Russians of guard, however I don't think this is an attempt to retake the whole city just to inflict as many losses on Russians as they can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back