"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

KYIV, June 24 (Reuters) - Ukrainian troops were set to withdraw from the eastern city of Sievierodonetsk after weeks of intense bombardments and street fighting, the regional governor said on Friday, as Russian advances raised fears they could be cut off and surrounded.

Russian troops fully occupied a town south of Lysychansk, which lies across the Siverskyi Donets River from Sievierodonetsk, Ukrainian officials said. Moscow claimed it had encircled about 2,000 Ukrainian troops in the area.

The Russian advances appeared to bring the Kremlin closer to taking full control of Luhansk province, one of Moscow's stated war objectives, and set the stage for Lysychansk to become the main frontline city on that front.

Interesting comment from the UK MOD

In the latest update, the MoD said: "Ukrainian forces have announced that the pilot of a Russian Su-25 FROGFOOT ground attack aircraft shot down on 17 June was captured shortly afterwards.

"The pilot has confessed to being a former Russian air force Major, who had taken employment as a Wagner military contractor and had flown several missions during the conflict.

"The use of retired personnel, now working as Wagner contractors, to conduct close air support missions indicates that the Russian air force likely is struggling to support the invasion of Ukraine with sufficient aircrew."

It added: "This is likely due to a combination of Russia's insufficient numbers of suitably trained personnel and its combat losses.

"The pilot has confessed to being a former Russian air force Major, who had taken employment as a Wagner military contractor and had flown several missions during the conflict.

"The use of retired personnel, now working as Wagner contractors, to conduct close air support missions indicates that the Russian air force likely is struggling to support the invasion of Ukraine with sufficient aircrew."

And at the same time they have the nerve to complain of "mercenaries" who are legally enlisted in the UAF.

Should that bill to train Ukrainian pilots pass, is the F-16 (export version?) capable against the MiG-29?

Yes, without a doubt. Look at upgrades. The -16 has continually been upgraded over its service life. I think the last upgrade for a -29 was around 2002? Also, consider the quality of the electronics suite.

BiffF15 BiffF15 is much better placed to answer this, but I'd put my money on an F-16 nine times out of ten, assuming equally-skilled pilots.

Last edited:
Should that bill to train Ukrainian pilots pass, is the F-16 (export version?) capable against the MiG-29?
IMHO, the best about F-16 its not if its better than mig-29 (which I think it is).
The good think about F-16 is that its wideespread around the world. Some countries have recently retired F-16s while others plan to do so in the near future. So it won't be difficult to find surplus aircraft to "donate" to Ukraine.

Well, I just saw some classified footage last weekend of a F-14 taking on a pair of S-57s.
I think the MiG-28 would be more trouble, though...

730ae9880ef5e7471ca0c9b6ba63d98c.jpg

Yes, without a doubt. Look at upgrades. the -16 has continually been upgraded over its service life. I think the last upgrade for a -29 was around 2002? Also, consider the quality of the electronics suite.

BiffF15 BiffF15 is much better placed to answer this, but I'd put my money on an F-16 nine times out of ten, assuming equally-skilled pilots.
"If" export F-16s can be supported by the right ECMs and are capable of fighting BVR (AIM-120 AMRAAM), much of the "skill" level can be taken out of the equation. IMO leave the dogfighting to Maverick!

Biff - hope to hear your take.

"If" export F-16s can be supported by the right ECMs and are capable of fighting BVR (AIM-120 AMRAAM), much of the "skill" level can be taken out of the equation. IMO leave the dogfighting to Maverick!

Right, exactly what I was talking about re: electronics. If you've got a gun, getting into a knife-fight is dumb.

Biff - hope to hear your take.

You and me both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back