"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (5 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Last edited:
I've always been curious as to why Austria never joined NATO.
It's due to the 1955 Austrian State Treaty which prohibits Austria from forming alliances with other countries and
also prohibits any foreign military from being on Austrian territory.

I think there is also something in their constitution as well.

Austria certainly seems to be an odd bod in all of that.

It's that whole "Carthage must be destroyed!" Mentality. Once the earth is salted, and the populace has been sold off into slavery, then what?
I wonder if Putin has considered this question?

I've always been curious as to why Austria never joined NATO.

"Austria is bound to neutrality by the 1955 Austrian State Treaty and its constitution, which prohibits entry into military alliances and the establishment of foreign military bases on Austrian territory."

Having said that, they have joined in multinational peacekeeping missions, just not military combat operations. They were part of the German-Swiss-Austrian contingent in Kosovo for example.

Last edited:
That's a rather strict treaty, sort of like Japan.

Wonder if it has it's roots in the Austro-Hungarian Empire memory, since Austria wasn't a belligerent in WWII.
The Anschluss meant that Austria was part of the German Reich. It, like Nebraska, wasn't a belligerent because it was not an independent sovereign state.

I would not worry too much about Serbia. It's just a bit a sabre rattling over car license plates, yes all this mess is over a thing so mundane as car plates.

In 2011, an agreement was concluded between Serbia and Kosovo on the use of neutral documents and license plates by the northerners of Kosovo, which expire on August 1, 2022. After that, Serbian citizens entering the territory of the republic will receive temporary Kosovo documents on crossing the border, and Serbian ones will be invalid. Serbia does not recognize the independence of Kosovo and does not consider it possible for Kosovo to establish rules for the registration of cars. On August 1 (that is, today), after negotiations with representatives of the US and the EU, the Kosovo authorities temporarily postponed the ban on Serbian documents until September 1.

On the other hand Serbia (Serbian government at least, population is quite pro Russian on the Ukrainian issue) is leaning more and more towards west. After all they will be much better as part of EU than as a Russian puppet state.

With those numbers i wonder what benefit do the Russians, and Putin in particular, expect from this war.
Putin misread the situation in Ukraine and the willingness of NATO and the world to intervene; so he expected a cakewalk. The invasion of Ukraine is going to enter history's list of large scale, geopolitical-changing military blunders, like Barbarossa and Pearl Harbour.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread