"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (5 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The NK government is therefore having serious problems recruiting personnel to send to Ukraine.
Kind of surprising this.

I'm with Thumpalumpacus in the assumption of use of forced labour but in a second thought, it could be a great risky for NK to send 'enemies of the state' to the Donbass, were they could attempt to flee to the west and have a fair chance of success due to the porous frontline.

I wasn't thinking about "enemies of the state" being impressed, but simply impressing civilians with construction experience. Of course, the risk of defection would still be high, I'd think.

The matter of starvation in North Korea is very overused and largely propagandistic in nature.

The only real famine/mass starvation event in recent NK history occurred in the 1990s (1995-1998? I think). It was not the result of the nature of the NK government, but was simply the result of a series of massive rainfalls and flooding that occurred in 1995. It is estimated that over 70% of the nation's rice crop was destroyed. Very few countries are in a position to handle such natural disasters.

In general, most of the references to the NK people starving are references to this event.

Also the propagandistic focus of the NK government has instilled in the average person a fear of the outside world. While the standard of living in NK is not particularly high, the majority of the people are what I think is usually referred to as 'provincial', and like most peoples they want to stay home and feel they are secure. Going to a strange country, far away, into a war zone, at the behest of a foreign government that they have no real reason to trust, . . .? Apparently, it is not an easy sell.

It's a good website (no title)

Ten thousand POWs will be good leverage to recover the Mariupol defenders and civilians forcibly deported to Russia. Putin might not want the POWs back, but upon seeing them marched through Kyiv, their families will.
Let's just hope the Russian people get to see it. How putler will explain to the world that this is going all to plan will be fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

• GTX