"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Last I heard, the Ukraine Army's strength (as of July of this year) was at 700,000.
Me too, 700,000.

With Russia having lost >60k troops, my thinking is Ukraine has moved to number three.

Thoughts on the M60 to Ukraine?

So, what changes now?

Last edited:
Thoughts on the M60 to Ukraine?

Shouldn't be bad against T-72s. I don't know if the ammo loadout takes ERA into consideration. Crew matters, too.

Me, I bet they could put 'em to good use.

Shouldn't be bad against T-72s. I don't know if the ammo loadout takes ERA into consideration. Crew matters, too.

Me, I bet they could put 'em to good use.
Agreed, if they're in good refurbished condition. I don't see any other option for AFU tanks if the Germans won't send Leopard 2s and the US says Ukraine can't manage the Abrams gas turbine and advanced systems without significant (and half a year's delay causing) training and establishment of a long support/maintenance train.

If no Leos and no Abrams, and presumably no LeClercs, Arietes and Challengers, it's got to be the M60 or more T-72s scounged up from across Europe and maybe Asia and Africa. The M60 has the same ammo used by the M1128 Mobile Gun System, so it might be good against ERA. But with thousands of MANPATS in AFU service, is antitank the main role for Ukraine's MBTs?

Last edited:
Agreed, if they're in good refurbished condition. I don't see any other option for AFU tanks if the Germans won't send Leopard 2s and the US says Ukraine can't manage the Abrams gas turbine and advanced systems without significant training and a long support train.

It's the same ammo used by the M1128 Mobile Gun System, so it might be good.

The comment above about supply-chain issues is pretty apt, though. We can compare capabilities 'til the cows come home, but keeping the thing operational is another thing altogether. Perhaps after the war we can do the M-1 thing, and until then complicating the supply-chain might not be beneficial, thereby bypassing the -60 altogether.

wlewisiii wlewisiii is a former tanker. I'd love to get his perspective on this.

Hmmm….. there's always some outliers that the US could negotiate. South Korean tanks to Ukraine via Poland?

The K2 looks impressive. Same ammo as the Leopard 2 and Abrams, so easier ammunition supply.

With the M60, like any other Western tank, there'll need to be transitional training for crews and maintenance personnel.
Add to that, ample ammunition, since western calibers differ from Soviet/Russian (eastern bloc) tanks.
True. Anything will need training and support, but apparently the Abrams is on the more demanding side. If it's not Leopards and not Abrams….. IDK.

Last edited:
The comment above about supply-chain issues is pretty apt, though.
The issues definitely aren't insurmountable. NATO has an entire multinational unit dedicated solely to ensuring Ukraine has what it needs.

I appreciate there a real logistical hurdles yet to overcome, but with Ukraine having a fully committed and stocked NATO right on its western border, providing all the weapons, munitions, communications kit, etc. it can, all free of charge, has any combatant nation ever had a better supply chain? It's like running a hot dog stand and the top backer is your uncle Oscar Mayer.

The issues definitely aren't insurmountable. NATO has an entire multinational unit dedicated solely to ensuring Ukraine has what it needs.

I appreciate there a real logistical hurdles yet to overcome, but with Ukraine having a fully committed and stocked NATO right on its western border, providing all the weapons, munitions, communications kit, etc. it can, all free of charge, has any combatant nation ever had a better supply chain? It's like running a hot dog stand and the top backer is your uncle Oscar Mayer.

The issue becomes supply for the many systems donated.

When the dust settles, Ukraine will be a well equipped military and I suspect that they will receive the M1A1 (or M1A2).

For now, though, we need to get them equipment that they are familiar and experienced with, so that there is nothing to slow their momentum.

The one large benefit of keeping Ukraine supplied with Eastern armor, is that Russia is providing them with huge amounts of ammunition and parts.

How many of these do the Russians have?
Stripes.jpg

More reporting of new conscripts being sent to the front in Ukraine without any training:

More reporting of new conscripts being sent to the front in Ukraine without any training:

Isn't he the same guy who received his call up papers and then said that he was too important to be called up. That ethnic minorities and others should go first.

On a different note. Russia keeps talking up the potential use of nuclear weapons and understandably the west led by the USA have promised a response which would be devastating.

No one is talking about what would happen if Russia used the one weapon it has used in the past without any comeback from the west, and that is Chemical Weapons. No doubt there would be a response, but I would be surprised if the smaller countries in the west or those less 'active' in the support of Ukraine such as France, fully took part

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back