"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again."

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Don't forget that USSR with Uncle Joe at the helm was there from the start, so I think that was envisioned.

Stalin wanted to -- and did -- abuse his nation's position on the SC but you've got a lot of work to do to convince me that FDR and Churchill were fine with that -- especially after the Yalta Conference. Are you honestly arguing that they intended to give Stalin a free hand?

Don't know if this is wishful thinking on the part of the West but, if there's a genuine rift between the Wagner Group and the Russian military, I'll be getting some popcorn ready to munch as I watch the fallout:

The UN is operating in the way intended by the founders. If each nation's vote were equal, a bunch of small countries could band together against the imperial powers embodied in the permanent members of the Security Council. Seven decades later, in spite of the collapse of the French, British and Russian empires, their veto powers remain.

That part is accurate, but it doesn't address my point.

Right, but that doesn't encompass the entirety of the reasons for the founding countries of the UN, only one; so claiming that the UN is operating "exactly as intended" is not accurate. It's operating as intended by one nation.
The US, UK, and France ended WW2 with either spheres of influence or outright colonial empires. They all wanted to make sure that the UN wouldn't interfere with, say, their actions in Central America, Iraq (basically run by the UK through a puppet government), or Algeria. While it's impossible to argue that Stalin was interested in freedom anyplace or at anytime, there were times and places when the US, UK, and France weren't terribly concerned with it, either.

Users who are viewing this thread