"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (5 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Poland to send Leopard tanks to Ukraine, if others do, too

JMFC, is there no one on the European continent willing to make the first move on anything? Poland's repeating the same sh#t they did with the MiG-29 debacle in spring 2022, where they offered the jets to Ukraine but only if some other country acted first to facilitate things. Why are the Ukrainians the only people in Europe with any balls?

Here's what Poland should be announcing:

Wczoraj wysłaliśmy na Ukrainę dwadzieścia czołgów Leopard, amunicję i części zamienne. Mamy nadzieję, że ta inicjatywa przekona innych operatorów Leopardów i czołgów podstawowych do zrobienia tego samego, Sláva Ukrayíni!

Yesterday, we sent twenty Leopard tanks, plus ammunition and spares to Ukraine. We hope this initiative will convince other Leopard and MBT operators to do the same, Sláva Ukrayíni!

Because the Germans keep users of their equipment on a short leash especially as regards spares.
The end result is Germany has shot both feet off since March 2022 with its foot dragging re arms to Ukraine, and the former massive German arms industry is experiencing a distinct drought in orders as users realise Germany never intended its export customers ever to actually use the stuff in anger.
Meanwhile, Poland is shaping up to be the new European defence export heavy hitter thanks to its productions deals for Tanks, SPG's, MLRS, MICV's its done with Korea.

Because the Germans keep users of their equipment on a short leash especially as regards spares.
I agree the Germans are being obstructionists, but Poland's announcement was that they'd send Leopard tanks to Ukraine once anyone else also did the same. These needn't be the Germans, and could be any Leo2 operator, even us Canadians. I think in this case Germany is not causing Poland's conditional offer, but it's instead a repeat of Poland's debacle with the MiG-29, where they want to be seen as helping but don't want to be seen as taking the lead in arming Ukraine with modern Western kit. Fear of offending Russia runs deep in Warsaw.

I don't think that's the case, since Poland has been one of the biggest supplies for aid to Ukraine in Europe.

I feel that Poland is putting pressure in Germany to relinquish it's grip on Leopards.

I get that the Germans are still worried about being seen as war mongers. The pressure from other nations is a necessary part of that.

And speaking of pressure:

View: https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1613205275431038979?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

The Leo II is the best option for them. Here's hoping they can get them.

If Poland, Finland and so on start to supply these tanks then the longer term outlook for Russia becomes even worse as the supplying
countries get even more modern replacements which will be, in some cases, directly opposite the Russian border.

Putin is a strategic genius.

I agree the Germans are being obstructionists, but Poland's announcement was that they'd send Leopard tanks to Ukraine once anyone else also did the same. These needn't be the Germans, and could be any Leo2 operator, even us Canadians. I think in this case Germany is not causing Poland's conditional offer, but it's instead a repeat of Poland's debacle with the MiG-29, where they want to be seen as helping but don't want to be seen as taking the lead in arming Ukraine with modern Western kit. Fear of offending Russia runs deep in Warsaw.

I don't entirely agree. Poland has been a beneficent donator of arms and equipment to Ukraine from their own stocks while taking good measures to backfill their own defense requirements. Yes, we'd like to see someone to say "Right, I'll go first", but with Poland being so close, it's hard for me to find blame in them wanting to ensure support before shipping their kit off elsewhere.

I think we in America should unlock stored M-1s, start training Ukrainians to use them, and announce it to break any deadlock. We here are much further away and much less at risk than Poland. We've given much, but we have in my opinion pussyfooted about it. I'm good with storage Abrams and F-16s, and setting a good example.

Also, A-10s, dammit. Give 'em some brrrt!

Jesus H Fucking Christ, if this is accurate… Why they're there? We don't know. But I can hope…

The pictures in this article show the equipment needed by a full US Armored BN: M577 Command vehicles. M88 Recovery Vehicles. M2 Bradelys. Mfucking1 Abrams.

I expect this will probably be a nothing burger but oh crap, can I hope?

Considering that Finland is a founding member of the "f**k around and find out" club, I don't think they're too worried.

We need a FAAFO smiley around here.

My suggestion:

2VvUfam.gif

Third lot of Ukraine-destined M113 variants arriving from the US now/soon also. Was watching some of them load the other day.
The 113 is a good vehicle. The 113A3? Excellent vehicle that is possibly the best of the "battle taxis" made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back