"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (12 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Let's load them up.

TDXJMhiRn7_jIXkjOYsCbRCBYfPiCpEQG2InWNZcves.jpg

Does Ukraine use EU rail gauge? It's a shame to have to de-train at the Polish border, especially as train marshalling yards near Poland have to be target #1 for Russia now.

If not EU gauge, I bet they will be when it's time to rebuild the nation's infrastructure.

Errr....the Tonka isn't in service any more, either...at least not with the RAF. They're all in museums now. The Luftwaffe still operates a few in the ECR role and the RSAF has some...but I think that's about it (maybe a few in Italy, too?).

The German Luftwaffe still has 75 multirole Tornado IDS (Interdictor/Strike variant), and 30 Tornado ECR (Electronic Warfare) variants in service.

Another reason Germany still uses its aging Tornados, and why it won't part with them without a suitable replacement…

The German Air Force has been flying Tornado jets since 1980s. It plans to gradually retire the fleet between 2025 and 2030.

Currently, Tornado is the only German aircraft that can be equipped with US nuclear bombs, Reuters added.

AA2D3205-FE43-41C0-B461-843D7F6B7A26.jpeg

Another reason Germany still uses its aging Tornados, and why it won't part with them without a suitable replacement…
I still find it amazing that eleven months into this war the only western-designed manned aircraft provided thus far to Ukraine are a trio of retired ex-FAA Sea King helicopters. Forget the Tornadoes, but surely we could have provided some UH-60s, or if that's too grandiose - maybe some UH-1s? Hopefully Abrams soon lead to F-16s.

I still find it amazing that eleven months into this war the only western-designed manned aircraft provided thus far to Ukraine are a trio of retired ex-FAA Sea King helicopters. Forget the Tornadoes, but surely we could have provided some UH-60s, or if that's too grandiose - maybe some UH-1s? Hopefully Abrams soon lead to F-16s.

We've been over this already… ;)

Which likely are in a complete state of disrepair and in terrible condition. The aircraft and vehicles are likely not airworthy or combat ready. Lack of spare parts and qualified maintenance technicians likely have assured this.
About the only practical uses would be:
  • Unternehmen Greif style operation
  • Propaganda use - "look here at the Amerikanski/NATO platforms we destroyed...
  • General study to identify weaknesses

Putin has burned so many political bridges that it's impossible for any normalization of relations with the West until he's replaced.

It reminds me of a lyric from a Steely Dan song, "Babylon Sisters":

The kid will live and learn
as he watches his bridges burn
from the point of no return.

Though I confess I don't think Putin is learning all that much at all.

RT is always good for a chuckle.

"A small number of these tanks manned by poorly trained crews and lacking full-scale maintenance and supply infrastructure support would most likely yield negative results. They will fail to change Ukraine's fortunes on the battlefield, while images of burning American tanks will likely hurt US public opinion."

RT is always good for a chuckle.

"A small number of these tanks manned by poorly trained crews and lacking full-scale maintenance and supply infrastructure support would most likely yield negative results. They will fail to change Ukraine's fortunes on the battlefield, while images of burning American tanks will likely hurt US public opinion."
I think RT got this bit right but the results may not be what they want

At the end of the day though, these discussions lack any practical value. The battlefield is the only litmus test for the advantages and drawbacks of any type of weapon or military equipment. Reliable statistics on combat use are all that is required for a comparative analysis of modern main battle tanks, if it is to be credible
And this bit
With this in mind, the Russian armed forces must achieve tangible military and political results long before western arms supplies reach their full potential

"It combines manoeuvrability with a high degree of protection and a powerful, powerful machine gun," Dr Tallis said."

I think he meant main gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back