"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice. That's two USAF C-5 Galaxy runs, shown below with two Abrams.

C5-tanks.jpg

Let's get the CAF Leopard 2s. Load 'em up for Ramstein AB.

Just a personal thought, but if there is one country which seems to be coming out of the Ukraine conflict (apart from Ukraine), with an enhanced reputation, I would suggest it's Poland. Traditionally in Europe the UK, France and Germany were seen to be almost jockeying for position, but when the chips were down I believe have been found lacking.
The UK and France have both been outside the mainstream militarily with largely unique equipment and have been unable to drive the agenda.
It's fair to say that the UK have done more than France but the small size of the UK Army has limited it when discussing heavy Armour and France are still behind the curve.

Germany has shown an inbuilt preoccupation in following, not leading and designing the agenda, their default position is to say 'no' until there is no alternative . Poland has come to the fore and have often led the drive to support Ukraine. In a number of ways Poland have forced Germany's arm.

Logistically and practically Poland has been in the front line and there can be little doubt that if they had stayed quiet the M1 and Leopard tanks would still be a subject of debate, not action.

This may seem harsh on the USA who have supplied a huge amount of assistance and without them Ukraine would have fallen. But I get the feeling that the USA, and other countries have concentrated on not letting Ukraine lose, but have been slower in helping Ukraine win back the lost territories.

Just a thought

But I get the feeling that the USA, and other countries have concentrated on not letting Ukraine lose, but have been slower in helping Ukraine win back the lost territories.
Your kid gets beat up on the playground, so you send him to karate dojon. He comes back a black belt and wreaks vengeance on his tormentors, embraces the warrior image, and becomes a playground terror himself, while you wring your hands and wonder "What have I created?"

When the dust settles, I believe that Ukraine will be a valuable member of the European community, both in trade, energy and militarily.

Ukraine *was* a key manufacturer for Soviet/Russian hardware, mainly aircraft and shipbuilding.

With the end of Russian relations, this would be an advantage to European countries.

Ukraine would also be a solid buffer between Russia and Europe, much like Poland is.

In many ways, Putler's folly has done Europe a great service, of course a horribly expensive and tragic one.

Let's load them up.

View attachment 703897

Does Ukraine use EU rail gauge? It's a shame to have to de-train at the Polish border, especially as train marshalling yards near Poland have to be target #1 for Russia now.

If not EU gauge, I bet they will be when it's time to rebuild the nation's infrastructure.
There is at least one hub in Poland with a Ukrainian gauge but probably overloaded already. Ukrainian Railways started the project with EU partners to rebuild some links inside Ukraine, but information is scarce.

Talk about F-16s is heating up.

Lockheed Martin has said it stands ready to meet demand for its F-16 aircraft as some of Ukraine's closest European allies revive efforts to provide fighter jets to Kyiv.

Frank St. John, chief operating officer of Lockheed Martin, the largest US defence contractor, told the FT that there was "a lot of conversation about third party transfer of F-16s" — whereby countries would re-export their US jets to Ukraine to defend its airspace.

St. John said the company was "going to be ramping production on F-16s in Greenville [South Carolina] to get to the place where we will be able to backfill pretty capably any countries that choose to do third party transfers to help with the current conflict".

Just a personal thought, but if there is one country which seems to be coming out of the Ukraine conflict (apart from Ukraine), with an enhanced reputation, I would suggest it's Poland. Traditionally in Europe the UK, France and Germany were seen to be almost jockeying for position, but when the chips were down I believe have been found lacking.
The UK and France have both been outside the mainstream militarily with largely unique equipment and have been unable to drive the agenda.
It's fair to say that the UK have done more than France but the small size of the UK Army has limited it when discussing heavy Armour and France are still behind the curve.

Germany has shown an inbuilt preoccupation in following, not leading and designing the agenda, their default position is to say 'no' until there is no alternative . Poland has come to the fore and have often led the drive to support Ukraine. In a number of ways Poland have forced Germany's arm.

Logistically and practically Poland has been in the front line and there can be little doubt that if they had stayed quiet the M1 and Leopard tanks would still be a subject of debate, not action.

This may seem harsh on the USA who have supplied a huge amount of assistance and without them Ukraine would have fallen. But I get the feeling that the USA, and other countries have concentrated on not letting Ukraine lose, but have been slower in helping Ukraine win back the lost territories.

Just a thought
Estonia should be mentioned as well. Over 1% of GDP to military aid.
UA mil aid pct GDP.png

And Estonia just announced the transfer of all existing 155 mm howitzers to Ukraine. Yes, they will be replaced with South Korean K9 eventually. But taking into account the size of the country, its history of relationship with USSR/RF, no sizeable NATO troops contingent yet... I love Estonia.

Talk about F-16s is heating up.
That is one amazing plane. If you had told me as a three year old in 1974 that this aircraft just flown would still be in production (with a two year break 2017-19 for plant relocation to make room for F-35) when I'm 52 I'd say you're mad. Well, if I could say anything coherent at that young age.

I wonder when the final F-16 will roll off the plant. It's nothing but upwards for the F-16 into the 2020s.

781px-F16_vertical_climb.png

Last edited:
When the dust settles, I believe that Ukraine will be a valuable member of the European community, both in trade, energy and militarily.
I believe Ukraine's ascendancy into a West-style parliamentary democracy, along with Poland's growing confidence and stature will cause tension within the established European community. Once Ukraine joins the EU, its forty plus million people and agricultural/resource/industrial might combined with Poland's thirty-eight million people, economic might and massive military expansion, may rattle the PIIGS and perhaps France and even Germany as the EU's power centre moves eastwards.

Last edited:

If Ukraine loses, they've got another hostile border to worry about. Not to belittle Polish leadership --and you're right, that's what they're showing -- they have little choice but to do so.

And this -- since they cannot win on the battlefield, they'll at least vent some more anger on civilians:

KYIV, Jan 26 (Reuters) - Russia sent Ukrainians racing for cover with a rush-hour missile barrage, killing at least one person, the day after Kyiv secured Western pledges of dozens of modern battlefield tanks to try to push back the Russian invasion.

Moscow reacted with fury to the German and American announcements, and has in the past responded to apparent Ukrainian successes with massed air strikes that have left millions without light, heat or water.

The Ukrainian military said it had shot down all 24 drones sent overnight by Russia, including 15 around the capital, and 47 of 55 Russian missiles.

Air raid alarms had sounded across Ukraine as people headed to work.

In the capital, crowds took cover in underground metro stations. Mayor Vitali Klitschko said one person had been killed and two wounded when a missile hit non-residential buildings in the south of the city.

We should send F-16s to stand CAP against this terrorism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back