"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Leo 1 tanks approved to go to Ukraine. This just in from the BBC:

Manufacturers in Germany have been authorised to send Leopard 1 tanks to Ukraine, a government official has just confirmed.
Leo1 has very little armour and no protection from even the most primitive Russian AT weapons. The reason the Leo2 was introduced was that the Leo1 did not measure up to the T-72, the very tank the Russians are using in Ukraine. I'd rather we send Ukraine the Leo2s they asked for. As I understand it, it's politics, not a lack of availability that is holding up the Leo2s for Ukraine.

If there's any European tank that's not in front line service today to send, it has to be those four hundred Challenger 1 tanks that Jordan is retiring. Let's collect those now, today, clean them up, and send those to Ukraine.... alongside three hundred Leo2s.

Even Canada, one of the most parsimonious military spenders in NATO scrapped their Leo1s for Leo2s a decade ago. Sending Leo1s to Ukraine when Leo2s are available is just setting up the UAF for failure and sending Ukrainians to unnecessary death.

I wish NATO would decide how they want to help Ukraine. On one hand we send the highest tech kit, such as HIMARs, GMLRS, MANPADS, MANPATS, Patriot SAMs, MQ-9 Reaper drones, and other top drawer systems. Then on the other hand we treat Ukraine like a dump for army surplus junk, like Leo1s and retired Sea Kings first produced in the 1960s.

Last edited:
More on the Leo 1s:

As many as 88 of the older Leopard 1s are to be sent, according to a report earlier today by Süddeutsche Zeitung. But, the newspaper writes that these vehicles are in need of repair. The Leopard 1 entered service in the 1960s.

Officials in Berlin have declined to confirm the number due to be sent.

Officials in Berlin have declined to confirm the number due to be sent.
One irony for those history-shy politicians in Berlin, is the Leopard 1 design by Krauss-Maffei Wegmann GmbH (KMW) began only eleven years after KMW produced their last Tiger II tank in 1945. There's no MBT in Europe that's as chronologically close to Germany's eastern front past. And before you reply that there's no relevant connection between the vehicles of WW2 and the postwar era and that my conjecture above is meaningless.... that's my point. Berlin needs to get over the WW2 guilt/shyness and help Ukraine with modern tanks, now.

I wonder if there's a warehouse full of Henschel's Kanonenjagdpanzer, essentially a remake of the Third Reich's Jagdpanzer IV to send.

Of we can forget the rubbish of old, and send the Leo2 tanks Ukraine is asking for.

Last edited:
KMW didn't manufacture the King Tiger, that was Henschel.

Krupp, on the otherhand, did manufacture tanks (amongst other things) during WWII and they manufactured the postwar Leopards.

KMW didn't manufacture the King Tiger, that was Henschel.

Krupp, on the otherhand, did manufacture tanks (amongst other things) during WWII and they manufactured the postwar Leopards.
Which is fair enough since VW wouldn't have been able to do a very good job of it.

The Leopard 1A5 would still be a handy addition.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread