"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (8 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Uhhhh.............

Clipboard01.jpg

Going back to the use of the Leopard 1 tanks. The biggest problem will be the vulnerability to infantry AT weapons. A Russian equivalent to a Carl Gustav would be a serious problem.
I bet one could get a side hull kill using a PTRS-41 rifle. A BMPs 30mm autocannon would tear a Leopard 1 to shreds. Those tanks have no place on the modern battlefield.

And there's no need to send the Leo1. The Leo2s are available and will, I believe be sent asap, likely well before the Leo1s are refurbished and available to be sent.

Last edited:
Good info and POV, thanks. With such a defensive posture I wonder if the Bundeswehr, as the backbone of NATO's ground forces in the 1970-80s would have been able to go on the offensive if the invading Red Army broke, or would they have just stopped at the Polish border? The one Axis power doing a big turnaround towards vast military capability is Japan. Meanwhile Italy, the third main Axis power gets a free pass on their aggressions. That doesn't seem fair.
Of course, Germany could have. The whole point of rearming Germany with the Bundeswehr was to defend against a Soviet Invasion. At one point Germany had the world's largest air defense network believe it or not. Once the Soviets Invaded, the Bundeswehr could go on the offensive to defeat the Soviet Army. As part of a NATO force, it could fight. They would not have stopped at the Polish border. The war would be fought until it was over, and in that event, Germany would fight.

However, let's be honest. Any invasion by the Soviet Union into Germany during the Cold War would have resulted in a nuclear holocaust. That is why the Cold War never went hot.

Italy is given a pass because they switched sides and largely took out their own government. Japan largely got off the hook as well, just like Italy did. I don't agree with this. Japanese aggression and atrocities were just as bad as those of the Nazis. Japan should have been forced to do a fully unconditional surrender and the government and emperor should have been punished as well, just as the Nazis were. Now having said that, I understand why the emperor was let off the hook. The Japanese people never would have accepted defeat if their emperor and government were not left in place.

Japan has been primarily passive since the end of WWII (with the exception of various Godzilla encounters), but China's recent aggressive posturing in the region has caused Japan to rethink their military's position.

None of their aims are offensive, but aimed more towards a reinforced defense force.

In other words, if China keeps fooling around with Japan, they run the risk of being on the receiving end of "f**k around and find out".

Japan has been primarily passive since the end of WWII (with the exception of various Godzilla encounters), but China's recent aggressive posturing in the region has caused Japan to rethink their military's position.

None of their aims are offensive, but aimed more towards a reinforced defense force.

In other words, if China keeps fooling around with Japan, they run the risk of being on the receiving end of "f**k around and find out".

Oh no, they say, he's got to go
Go go Godzilla, yeah
Oh no, there goes Tokyo
Go go Godzilla, yeah

- Blue Oyster Cult

As I said some days or weeks ago the Leo 1s could be used for training to adjust to western tank setup, as mobile artillery or for attacks from ambush positions.
Later versions had improved armor on the turret but not much was done on the hull.
AFAIR the Leo 1 design was speed over armor - fire some rounds from a well hidden position then quickly move to new position, it was not designed for combat in widely open terrain. Designers had more defensive ops in mind than offensive ops as they expected the warsaw pact states rolling over/through germany with thousands of tanks.

Leo 1 design was speed over armor - fire some rounds from a well hidden position then quickly move to new position.
That does support the motivations behind the Jagdpanzer-like Kanonenjagdpanzer and Stridsvagn 103. I think if tarted up either would be as useful as the Leo1, especially the latter with its 105mm gun. And the S-tank only needs two crew.

Last edited:
Of course, Germany could have. The whole point of rearming Germany with the Bundeswehr was to defend against a Soviet Invasion. At one point Germany had the world's largest air defense network believe it or not. Once the Soviets Invaded, the Bundeswehr could go on the offensive to defeat the Soviet Army. As part of a NATO force, it could fight. They would not have stopped at the Polish border. The war would be fought until it was over, and in that event, Germany would fight.

However, let's be honest. Any invasion by the Soviet Union into Germany during the Cold War would have resulted in a nuclear holocaust. That is why the Cold War never went hot.

Italy is given a pass because they switched sides and largely took out their own government. Japan largely got off the hook as well, just like Italy did. I don't agree with this. Japanese aggression and atrocities were just as bad as those of the Nazis. Japan should have been forced to do a fully unconditional surrender and the government and emperor should have been punished as well, just as the Nazis were. Now having said that, I understand why the emperor was let off the hook. The Japanese people never would have accepted defeat if their emperor and government were not left in place.
Yes, the mission of our Corporal Type IIB artillery battalion was guarding the Fulda Gap. Any armor coming through there would have been struck by our nuclear warheads. After firing our Basic Load of guided Missiles, we would become infantrymen.
Any invasion by the Soviet Union into Germany during the Cold War would have resulted in a nuclear holocaust.

Yes, the mission of our Corporal Type IIB artillery battalion was guarding the Fulda Gap. Any armor coming through there would have been struck by our nuclear warheads. After firing our Basic Load of guided Missiles, we would become infantrymen.

I was a dependent at the time, but only lived about 200 clicks from the Fulda Gap. My dad's unit was assigned to the gap if the balloon had gone. I winessed many a Reforger there. Good times. I actually miss it. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back