"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (11 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Trust me…your echelon would be a lot more fun!
Once upon a time, as the saying goes, I was in the S2 shop for the OPFOR at Hohenfells. We played out the possibilities as the Soviets with a war game by GDW called Assault. Long after the game was published but the guy there had hacked it a lot to bring it up to then current info as had I as much as I could as a reserve NCO back in the US long before so much was available on that "internet" thingy & between us we were able to put together a plan that 1) was different than expected yet 2) was still within Soviet doctrine for a meeting engagement with NATO trained forces. From what I've watched in Ukraine, I'd say we did a better job as Soviets than the Russians have ;)

There are a lot of very badly performed "things" that I have seen over the past year... ;) I am sp grateful they haven't learned any lessons from the battles fought between then and now.

Being a suspicious **************** I am wondering if those balloons being shot down over the US and Canada are equipped with sensors to analyse the electronic signatures of the aircraft and missiles being fired at it so that China and Chinas client Putler can prepare electronic jamming for the NATO aircraft being, or likely to be, shipped to Ukraine and Taiwan.

I cannot think why else would they put up balloons two and three?

J1 - Personnel
J2 - Intelligence
J3 - Operations
J4 - Logistics
J5 - Plans
J6 - Communications
J7 - Training and Exercises
J8 - Future Capabilities

I also had interactions, and still do, with the J7 team so I'm not missing much in terms of HQ work across the staff.
Thanks a lot for this, much appreciated

This is an interesting headline. It's based on Ukrainian data which I normally take with a sizeable pinch of salt. However, the UK MOD's pronouncement that the day are likely accurate puts some weight behind the analysis.

Once upon a time, as the saying goes, I was in the S2 shop for the OPFOR at Hohenfells. We played out the possibilities as the Soviets with a war game by GDW called Assault. Long after the game was published but the guy there had hacked it a lot to bring it up to then current info as had I as much as I could as a reserve NCO back in the US long before so much was available on that "internet" thingy & between us we were able to put together a plan that 1) was different than expected yet 2) was still within Soviet doctrine for a meeting engagement with NATO trained forces. From what I've watched in Ukraine, I'd say we did a better job as Soviets than the Russians have ;)

There are a lot of very badly performed "things" that I have seen over the past year... ;) I am sp grateful they haven't learned any lessons from the battles fought between then and now.

Brings back some great memories. I think I was on one of the last rotations to Hohen"hell" where OPFOR acted as the Russians. They wore black uniforms with red stars, and the Huey's were painted as Hinds. They also used old M60 tanks with red stars on them.

They snuck into our GP Medium tent one cold snowy night. lol

Last edited:
That's an AWESOME video. Thanks for sharing. It's 100% relevant to what we're seeing today.

I think, in part, stupidity is driven by humankind's tribal ancestry. We automatically divide people into groups of "us" and "them", whether it's the sports teams we support, the political parties we endorse, the "otherness" of people with differently-coloured skins, or even those in different social strata. If we always assume "us" are right, then "them" must clearly be wrong. "Them" are the people we don't listen to. "Them" become the enemy.

There's also the tendency of people who are highly-capable in one discipline to believe they're equally capable in other disciplines. I think this is where we tip over from self-confidence to arrogance. A good general officer is humble enough and self-confident enough to know that they have hundreds of experts across all sorts of disciplines, and that integrating the efforts of those experts will deliver better recommendations upon which the general can make a decision. An arrogant general thinks they're the smartest person in the room, regardless of the topic under discussion, inevitably leading to staff not thinking for themselves (because the general does all the thinking anyway) and, ultimately, poor recommendations and decisions.
100% agree

This is an interesting headline. It's based on Ukrainian data which I normally take with a sizeable pinch of salt. However, the UK MOD's pronouncement that the day are likely accurate puts some weight behind the analysis.

This is what UK mod reported. The recent uptick on Russian loses probably means the expected offensive already started.

Fov1-4_XoAAkkXb.jpg

Fov2NpvXsAA9ZYL.png

Paywall free: https://archive.ph/7mYFk

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back