"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (7 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Could the UAF units deployed to Kursk have been better deployed to Pokrovsk? The Russians appear to have a long, thin advance that's just asking to attacked and liquidated in a AFU pincer.

View attachment 795185
A point that comes up is: throwing strength against strength is playing into Russia's strategy. The AFU can throw their best maneuver units at the meat grinder OR use them to better effect striking where the enemy ain't. The damage the AFU can do would be much greater than wasting them in a war of attrition.

That allegation has not yet been proven. It was laid by a Ukrainian member of parliament who asserts the UAF is covering this up. I'm going to wait for the investigation, in which USA is helping, before I draw any conclusions.
However, the Chief of the Air Force was relieved of his command and the UAF has not discounted allegations that the Patriot system was the cause.

However, the Chief of the Air Force was relieved of his command and the UAF has not discounted allegations that the Patriot system was the cause.
Unless the Chief through his orders, actions or omissions to those under his command caused the F-16's loss through not ensuring the Patriot Battery's IFF was setup or that its commander was aware of the F-16's operating nearby, firing the Chief does seem extreme. You're supposed to lose aircraft and pilots in war, that's why you must have more than one, or in this case six F-16s.

I'm worried that Zelenskyy has acted like that scene in Downfall where he's shouting at and blaming his general staff. You lost a plane and a pilot - not the war. Now take a breath, and now you and your new Air Force Chief need a plan to get more.

Right. There's a lot still up in the air. I therefore think that awaiting the results of the investigation is appropriate. I'm just some schlub online with no insider info. I'd hate to cast false accusations and won't do so; therefore, I withhold judgement until those looking into it see fit to release pertinent info. There's too many possible explanations to settle on one explanation right now, to my mind.

Maybe the IFF didn't work. Maybe either the pilot or the SAM crew-chief didn't turn on IFF. Maybe the F-16 got its last kill by accidentally running into its target cruise missile. Maybe something on the airplane went badly wrong and resulted in turbine disintegration. We simply don't know, and admitting that much is not a bad thing right now.

I agree with A Admiral Beez Beezy that the firing of the UAF general is not in and of itself evidence of cause.

A point that comes up is: throwing strength against strength is playing into Russia's strategy. The AFU can throw their best maneuver units at the meat grinder OR use them to better effect striking where the enemy ain't. The damage the AFU can do would be much greater than wasting them in a war of attrition.

Possibly, but remember that dividing weaker forces in the face of a stronger enemy, a la Lee sending Stuart off on unrelated recon and raiding meant Lee had less recon and reserve at Gettysburg proper, may have cost Lee that battle.

Do Ukraine's objectives around Kursk outweigh Russian objectives around Pokrovsk? I can't say. I personally cotton to the massing of forces, but there are times when a diversion provides more than the simple objective of the diversion itself.

At other times, as you point out, sneaking a knife into the back of the enemy's knee produces outsized results.

Last edited:
Do Ukraine's objectives around Kursk outweigh Russian objectives around Pokrovsk? I can't say. I personally cotton to the massing of forces, but there are times when a diversion provides more than the simple objective of the diversion itself.
I have no idea. My military experience was using my green army men to defend the living room against the evil tan army men.
Whatever the AFU is doing, I hope it works. How do you fight an enemy that already starts out demoralized and apathetic but still keeps crawling forward?

I have no idea. My military experience was using my green army men to defend the living room against the evil tan army men.
Whatever the AFU is doing, I hope it works. How do you fight an enemy that already starts out demoralized and apathetic but still keeps crawling forward?

None of us here, know, Rob. We're the peanut gallery, and all suppositions are exactly that -- suppositions.

But did your green army men win? If so, you're probably more qualified than a lot of the 'experts' uploading content on the war these days..... ;)

But did your green army men win? If so, you're probably more qualified than a lot of the 'experts' uploading content on the war these days..... ;)

lol, living in Iran where the summers were hot and winters cold, I fashioned a mud-mountain in the yard of our flats, bare dirt and no grass, and let it sun-bake over the summer. Once it was nice and hard, I stole a tablespoon from mom's kitchen and scooped out caves and ledges and trails. Had some trenches dug surrounding it equipped with the occasional Matchbox tank doing support work.

I'd set my tan and green boys up, get out my wrist-rocket and .177 BBs, and voila ... Colonel Gossett. My greens always won, most likely due to my sheer genius.

Probably helped that the tans couldn't run into the caves I so nicely dug for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back