Okay, I figured out how to get the airfoils into the windows software so I could provide a comparison graphic. Here there are:
As you can see, at the root the Corsair airfoil is thicker and has a sharper rise to the forward edge and its thicker, but it also is more symetrical from top to bottom, which probably makes it a little better at higher speeds and a little worse at lower speeds. The Spitfire wing has almost as much chord at the root as the Corsair wing.
At the the tip the most noticable difference is the relative chord - the Spitfire wing has become rather narrow. Techincally the measurement should be taken at 10% from the tip, however the difference was so extreme I decided to show them scaled against one another at 15% from the tip. To my eye, the tip shapes are very similar, with the Corsairs having its maximum thickness along the top a just a little further back (proprotionally) than that of the Spitfire, but on the bottom it is further back still.
Honestly I cannot tell which airfoil shapes are "better". I suspect they are very similar, with the Spitfire wing generating a little more lift at low speeds but a little more drag (proportionally) at higher speeds, especially near the roots. Next I'll have to figure out how to put these into airfoil simulation software and see if that shows any significant differences.
=S=
Lunatic