American Air Museum in Britain - up-date.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Just had an up-date from Duxford, informing that the American Museum, situated at the west end of the airfield, will re-open on 19th March.

The Museum has been closed for the past year, whilst re-furbishment of the building was undertaken, and some exhibits re-painted and general maintenance carried out on most of the aircraft. Some of the aircraft have been re-positioned, and I believe the replica Mustang (in 78th FG colours) is to be replaced by a real example, although I'm not certain on this. If so, then I believe it's the one shown below, recently completed, and on display in the 'Air Space' hangar annexe in September last year.
The 'new' Museum will include personal artefacts, inter-active displays, and audio-visual accounts from USAAF veterans and, I believe some new exhibits, in the refurbished building.
The Museum was designed to resemble, in its curved frontage, a typical hangar, and is built partly into a mound, with the entrance being reached via a winding path, lined with glass screens, each engraved with US aircraft, showing every USAAF aircraft lost on operations from the UK.
The front wall is totally glass, with two entrance doors which are normally open on airshow days and, as can be seen in the photo below, taken during the renovation, can be removed to allow aircraft to be moved in or out. The tail of the B-52 gives some idea of the size of the building.

Attachments

• AAM.jpg
    AAM.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCF0024.JPG
    DSCF0024.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 187
You're welcome chaps.
Just been looking at some more shots of the Mustang, and noticed (forgot I saw this at the time) that the wing roots have hefty suspension lugs fitted (see pic below, lugs at cowling rear joint, at wing root).
So it looks like the aircraft will be hung from the roof of the building, replacing the replica.
Shame it can't take pride of place on the floor, so that it can be seen in its entirety, especially as Duxford was the 'home' of the 78th FG. But, space being at a premium, I can understand the decision to 'hang it up'.

Attachments

• AAM 2.jpg
    AAM 2.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 160

Users who are viewing this thread

Back