American Civil War good books

nuuumannn

Lieutenant Colonel
10,506
10,583
Joined
Oct 12, 2011
Location
Nelson
Hi Guys,

What would you guys recommend as good books on the Civil War, both visual, with pictures and maps etc, and text type? Any suggestions, since being where I'm from, I know nothing about it. Is John Keegan's The American Civil War any good?

Thanks in advance.
 
"... John Keegan's The American Civil War any good ....?"

John Keegan is always good, IMHO.

If you like fiction, this series is satisfying:

The Starbuck Chronicles - Wikipedia
 
Also I would recommend a good Civil War "dictionary or encyclopedia" to have at your side while you read through Foote's Magnum Opus, unless you have an outstanding memory. Helped me immensely to recall all the names and places. This is a small, but thick, paperback books that is very portable.
 
Thanks guys, will take a good look at these clips and good to hear your thoughts on Keegan, Mike - a hunch told me it would be a good one. I'll put that on my list of books to buy.
 
The absolute best book about the ACW is James McPherson " Battle Cry of Freedom"

You can learn more about it here: Battle Cry of Freedom (book) - Wikipedia
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back