American vs. European Colonialism

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I don't dislike you and I have no bad feelings against you either, it is just that I don't agree with your dismissive attitude towards my opinions.

I have been looking at how to close my account on here but there seems to be no way of doing so, if you could please close my account for me I would be grateful.

We do not close accounts. It is your choice to post or not.

Also NO one has dismissed your opinions. Everyone is entitled to them, and none are censored. We have a duty to keep threads on track. We moderators decided to split the threads. Both can be discussed. That is not censoring or dismissing.

Please show ME where (exact posts) I have dismissed your opinion. In fact I don't think have addressed your opinion.

Last edited:
We do not close accounts. It is your choice to post or not.

Also NO one has dismissed your opinions. Everyone is entitled to them, and none are censored. We have a duty to keep threads on track. We moderators decided to split the threads. Both can be discussed. That is not censoring or dismissing.

Please show ME where (exact posts) I have dismissed your opinion. In fact I don't think have addressed your opinion.

I'm not trying to be awkward but if you can ban me then obviously you can close my account. I don't want to go back over old ground and feel I have said all I have to say on this matter. I have nothing against you but with the best of will we only fall out again so it's best I go, if you don't ban me I am likely to get bored at some time and start using this forum again which would be a mistake.

It is your choice to post here or not. I will not ban you. You have done nothing to be banned.

If our forum bores you, then just go and find one that is more stimulating.

Commodore Perry made his biggest mistake in his entire life.
He had shot 4 cannons into the air to show his power to the Edo(Tokyo) people.
It sounded as if a signal to start building IJN to confront with the US 88 years later.
I think this should be remarked in the history.

You know, I've never looked it at that way. Very interesting thought Shinpachi.

Did not read all of this thread, but I do agree with Pattle on one thing. Many Americans play innocent and dismiss European colonialism as a bad crime while not looking at their own history. (notice how I not point the finger at anyone of you). The Philippines was just the US wanting to be a colonial power themselves. Their whole existence like it is today is thanks to European colonialism and actually all white Americans are actually of European decent, so European colonialism is also their colonialism. So actually the whole matter is a non-issue.
Let me be clear: colonialism like it was practised by my own country is not something I am proud of. It was quite often criminal, arrogance and overall a very regrettable affair. But it is what made the world as it is today. I also think that other countries would have done the same, had they been in the position that the Europeans were in during those centuries. Japan, the US, Russia, all had their own shot at colonialism, but in different time and maybe less successful.

Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes...

The fact remains that nearly all civilizations/nations throughout human history have demonstrated expansionism (a form of colonialism) at one point or another. The ebb and flow of European ancestry is a prime example as well as middle-Asian ancestry.

Why humanity feels the need to do this is anyone's guess...perhaps it is an underlying mechanism of survival left over from prehistory or what, but in this modern age, it's not nessecary.

Overall, I really don't see colonialism as a bad thing, IMO it's more along the evolutionary path than anything.

A lot of really cool countries today would not be what they are without it, and I freely included the US, Australia, Canada and a number of other countries in this.

I think the point where I start to feel uncomfortable is when in the modern "civilized" times (say since 1900's) it's done by wiping out or trying to wipeout the indigenous people. I could be wrong but from what I read about the Philippine Insurrection that what the US did at times.

I apologize. I didn't realize this thread was in the 1800-1914 section. Hopefully my post will be ignored and we can stay in the proper time period. I hate when I do that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back