an old wood model (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

KGS

Recruit
Sep 9, 2007
HI ... I was given a wood model of a Grumman prototype made at Grumman. It is a twin engine (told no turbo) painted yellow wing with cockpit set back to about 50% of cord. Blue to tail. It has a horiz. stab. with 2 verticals at ends with rudders. Retract gear from under engines. I was told only two were built in early 1940's - one crashed and the other was choped - never produced. I can't find anything on it at all. Any body?? thanks Kevin

Some British influence I would gather. You must have a real prize if it is original Grumman. I would hang on to that baby. Now that we helped you, how about some pics?!?!?!?

Hello again... this site is great. first time I have ben here. My Uncle gave the model to me last week. We had not spoken in almost 40 years. He worked on F-9 and LEM. I did 10 years F-14 EF-111 EA-6B and then the labs.
I can't wait to call him.. Now we have a bunch to talk about. Thanks, Kevin

Attachments

• XF5F-1 001.jpg
    XF5F-1 001.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 108
  • XF5F-1 002.jpg
    XF5F-1 002.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 87
  • XF5F-1 003.jpg
    XF5F-1 003.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 99
  • XF5F-1 004.jpg
    XF5F-1 004.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 90
  • XF5F-1 005.jpg
    XF5F-1 005.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 81
  • XF5F-1 006.jpg
    XF5F-1 006.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 89
I suspect that your model has been repainted. Which would ofcourse take a CONSIDERABLE amount of worth off of it. Nevertheless, if it is verifiably Grumman in origin, you have a gem. How sure are you that it is Grumman manufacture? I suspect that based upon the rather crude shaping (paint aside), that this was a novelty intended for the masses and not a Grumman model used for any engineering or marketing purposes. But I have been proven wrong on more occasions than Lanc has copulated with sheep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back