Academy Model "Cutty Sark" in 350 scale... with crew. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Night Fighter Nut

Master Sergeant
Nov 3, 2009
Plano Texas
Greetings all,
Now that the bomber is done, I would like to do something completely different for awhile. This is something for myself to get me back into modeling; something fun but challenging. I've always loved the tall ships when I was a wee lad and at one time built a 96 scale USS Constution under full sail. Took me 7 months to build but it was decent enough to sit in a naval museum for awhile.

I didn't get to keep it but thought one day I'll try it again. In preparation for it, I purchased the Cutty Sark in 350 scale. I didn't get anything as far as extras except some Tamiya crew some years ago. The kit is simple enough, but I figured why not see how far I can go? It's going to get a little complicated.

I know it's not a plane nor any kind of warship. Just thought perhaps someone would like to see something different. So here I go.
20230319_100716.jpg
20230319_101052.jpg

Thanks.

Those sails and ratlines are massively over-scale...they're WAY too thick. You'll need to sand them down a LOT to get a more realistic appearance.

Also, I expect to be able to identify each member of the crew based on how you depict them....and, yes, I want to see ALL the below-decks crew in their accurately-detailed work locations before you put the main deck onto the hull.

Crack on, there's a good chap! :)

Thanks guys, at the moment I'm doing my research into colors, smaller assemblies, things most often left out when stuff gets tiny. Fortunately, Revell made this model in 96 scale and there are not only instructions into the smaller items on the deck, but there are also instructions for rigging. For the sails, I agree they need to be sanded. Those ribs are just way too large. However, the way they are molded, if you remove the ribs the sails actually look quite nice and passable.... once sanded of course. The rat lines above the blocks are way too large and not really useable. Years ago there was a method of making rat lines with string, wax paper, cardboard, and glue. I will use this to make new rat lines. The problem though comes in what color they are. I believe the old rat lines were tarred to protect from constant exposure to water. In photos of the real one, a museum now, this is not so. Trying to decide which is actually correct.

Photos will follow soon. The first thing I did was paste the two hull halves together and get rid of any seems. I then fitted the deck in place and added the masts and houses. None of it pasted. I wanted to airbrush all of the hull area and deck black. I know the hull is suppose to be black but the deck I painted black so that when I paint the deck later in its correct color, I can lightly sand over the raised detail on the deck and the deck lines would come through. I tried this before and it came out nice but again that was on a larger model. By the way. Something I forgot to mention. I will put this ship to sea as part of a little diorama.

Not sure how it will turn out but nothing tried nothing gained.

Thanks for following

Ok, a couple of pictures to get started. First is after I spray painted the hull and deck gloss black. I had fitted the deck houses and masts without pasting so that it couldn't be taken back apart for ease of working around the deck without interference from the railing. It also keeps the mating surfaces from paint so that I can paste it together later without complications.
20230323_055611.jpg

20230323_055817.jpg

Another reason is I can run the rigging to the sides, after I make a few tiny slots and holes, that will give the appearance of being tied to the belaying pins. See I'll paste the lines under the deck before they are run up to the masts. Something I dreamed up.

Thanks for following.

Good thinking. Did they provide the string for the rigging, if so it must be very fine like sewing cotton. :D

For a lot of the rigging I intend to use something called EZ Line in sizes heavy and fine. The spools are pictured in the first photo. I also have extremely fine copper wire found inside old electric clocks. This wire is as fine as hair. If you don't know about EZ Line, it's similar to elastic string found in women's underwater as I remember Wurger explaining it once years ago.

For a lot of the rigging I intend to use something called EZ Line in sizes heavy and fine. The spools are pictured in the first photo. I also have extremely fine copper wire found inside old electric clocks. This wire is as fine as hair. If you don't know about EZ Line, it's similar to elastic string found in women's underwater as I remember Wurger explaining it once years ago.
Our good friend Wojtek has also been known to recommend the thread from nylon tights. Good for making aerial wires. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back