Anglo Boer war.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've heard the night-life in Australia and New Zealand is pretty dire, but never been to either and would love to visit. I'm hope, and this is hope, that at some point I can move to Australia for a couple of years when I get my JAR 66 license - and I will get it!!!

Yes, Majuba was a great battle if you take it from the Boers side but a great loss for the UK and not good for morale booster in the UK Army. The funny thing is that the Boers crept up the mountain with their rifles and shot at the British army on top of the mountain and thus cept on moving and won the battle with the Scotish troops running down the mountain in fear.

Just sneakin in to add to the thread. I have a book called "Military Blunders" by Saul David that lists two Boer battles as blunders. One that caught my eye was under heading "Unfit to Command" and reads:

"The Battle of Spion Kop on January 24, 1900 should never have been fought. That it was, and that it ended in unnescessary defeat for the numerically superior British was largely thanks to Lt.-General Sir Charles Warren, arguably the most incompetent British commander of the Whole Second Boer War of 1899-1902."

Harsh words.

Also found this from this website:

Facts about the Anglo-Boer War

Winston Churchill, was a war correspondent who went on to become Prime Minister of Britain.

Mahatma Gandhi, was a stretcher-bearer for British forces, became the icon for non-violent protest.

Churchill escaped captivity and had a huge price put on his head by the Boers.

I've always been interested in this war especially after the mild support given England during the Zulu Wars shortly before the First Boer war. I may be correct in saying this was England's last major war fought for a colony. All others since (Boxer Rebellion, WWI, WWII, Iraq, etc.) were conflicts outside the politics of colonies.

I'll go away now :D

Thanks mate for your contrubtion and yes that battle was a great loss for the Uk forces. The fact was that the Boer forces were great when it came to the trenshes and they used it to its full capacity to keep the English away. Anything you like to ad is great and if you have a Question just ask mate would be glad to help.

Thanks for the kind words Henk. I'm more interested in the Zulu Wars but any of the Queen's scrimishes are of interest. The Boer Wars were always puzzling to me for they were comrades and enemies in such a short time. Unless thats only one side as sometimes I suspect The Boers only tolerated the English until they stepped on their toes. I'm also fascinated with Churchill and along with Sudan this was a building chapter of his life.

Just found this neat little info site;

Small Arms of the Boer War

Small Arms of the Boer War

Prior to the American Civil War in 1861, armies throughout the world were equipped with single-shot rifles. On one occasion during the Civil War, a unit of the Union Army, equipped with magazine rifles, beat off the attack of a regimental sized force armed with single shot rifles. In 1877, the Turks, equipped with Winchester repeating rifles again successfully demonstrated the advantage of the magazine rifle when they successfully repulsed mass attacks by the Russians at the Battle of Plevna. On each occasion the rapid rate of fire of the magazine rifle won the day. Soon most of the armies of Europe adopted the magazine rifle. Germany was the first nation to fully re-equip but pending the results of trials with smokeless powder the .433 inch Mauser Rifle, weighing 10lb 4oz was adapted to take a magazine.
It was then realized that if the advantage of rapid fire was to be fully achieved the size of the bullet would have to be reduced, in preference to increasing the payload of the rifleman, to allow him to carry more rounds.
In 1887, the British Army issued the .303-inch Lee-Metford Mark I Rifle as a replacement for the .45-inch Martini Henry Mark III issued in 1871 and the .402-inch Enfeld Martini Rifle issued in 1886; the accompanying bayonet had a 12-inch blade and weighed 15oz; the magazine held eight rounds each having a brass cartridge and being filled with 70 grains of fine black powder. In 892, the Lee-Metford Mark I was issued and in 1898, he year prior to the Boer War, the Lee-Metford Mark II Rifle was issued to the British Army. The latter two rifles had cordite filled rounds. In 1900, the Lee-Enfield Magazine Rifle Mark I was produced. It had a detachable 10-round magazine box. It was made available for colonial troops fairly readily but as the British Army had been re-equipped with the Lee-Metford Mark II, the latter was the personal weapon for the British infantry soldier in South Africa.
In 1897, the British cavalry were issued with the .303-inch Lee-Enfield Carbine Mark I. The carbine weighed 7lb 7oz against the 9 1/4lb of the Lee-Enfield Rifle; the backsight was scaled to 2,000 yards against the 2,800 yards of the rifle.
Meanwhile, in 1889 in Germany, the Mauser Rifle superseded the converted Mauser. This rifle weighed 9lb 8oz, had a calibre of .315 inches. It was fitted with a 5-round magazine filled by pressing the rounds from the clip.
Experience in the Boer War led Britain to adopt the European system for loading in bundles of five rounds. The Lee-Metford Mark II Rifle was converted to this system in 1902 and in the same year the Lee-Enfield Rifle using the same technique was issued.
In 1899, the British Army adopted the Maxim Automatic Machine Gun. It was a water cooled .303-inch weapon with a rate of fire of 450 rounds per minute. When filled, it weighed about 70lb. A converted Maxim Machine Gun was adopted for service too. It fired a 1lb percussion fused shell. It was known to the troops as the "Pom Pom". Both weapons were used extensively for the Boer War.

Thanks for the kind words Henk. I'm more interested in the Zulu Wars but any of the Queen's scrimishes are of interest. The Boer Wars were always puzzling to me for they were comrades and enemies in such a short time. Unless thats only one side as sometimes I suspect The Boers only tolerated the English until they stepped on their toes. I'm also fascinated with Churchill and along with Sudan this was a building chapter of his life.

If you are interested in other WARS that the British Government was involved in I suggest you go beyond the 2 Boer Wars. Look for information on the Maori War in New Zealand. Also the Sepoy Rebellions in India. Opium Wars in China just to name a few that you may find interesting. Also the Malayan Campaign. Kenyan Conflict Yeman Conflict and the Suez Canal Conflict in the 20th Century hope that helps you Njaco

Thanks Emac, been looking at the wars you mentioned. I have a book, "Queen Victoria's Little Wars" by Byron Farwell which has led me to the Crimean War, Churchill in the Sudan, etc. I get interested in the ceremonies of current British units and where they came from - certain days Sgts take over command of some regiments in honor of this battle, this flag is drapped to the left on this day for that battle. Really interesting. Love figuring out tradition.

Njaco there is one British Regiment that wears cap badges on either side of their caps. I think its the Gloscesters Regiment. Don't quote me on it however. But it seems the Gloscesters had to face in both direction in battle hence the 2 Badges on their caps. I think it was in North Africa Tel-a-Kirb not sure if that is spelled correctly or not but it was during the 19th Century where the Regiment was being attacked front and rear of their line etc. Many British Regiments have their own traditions. As for NCO's taking over the command of the regiment for the day etc. That occurs in other Commonwealth Military as well or it use to it may have changed. Its an old tradition dating back many years. Not always associated with battle honours etc.

from Gloucestershire Regiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Gloucestershire Regiment was an infantry regiment of the British Army. Nicknamed "The Glorious Glosters", the regiment carried more battle honours on their colours than any other British Army line regiment.

The origins of the regiment lie in the regiment formed in Portsmouth in 1694 by Colonel John Gibson. This was named the 28th Regiment of Foot in 1751. And renamed in 1782 as the 28th (North Gloucestershire) Regiment of Foot. After the Childers reforms, the regiment amalgamated with the 61st (South Gloucestershire) Regiment of Foot to form the two-battalion Gloucestershire Regiment on 1 July 1881.

The regiment saw active service in the Second Boer War from 1899 to 1902. World War I began in August and during the course of the war, the regiment raised 25 battalions, seeing service on the Western Front, Gallipoli, Macedonia, the Middle East and Italy. World War II began after Germany's invasion of Poland on 1 September, Britain, France, and its Allies declaring war on Germany on 3 September. The 2nd battalion was involved in the Battle of France after Germany's invasion of the Low Countries on 8 May 1940, taking part in the Dunkirk evacuation. The 1st battalion saw active service in Burma against Japanese forces. The 1st battalion was later involved in the North-West Europe campaign after the invasion of Normandy on 6 June 1944.

The regiment saw heavy fighting in the Korean War. After their actions at Gloster Hill during the Battle of the Imjin River in 1951, following which the regiment was awarded the United States Distinguished Unit Citation, the regiment gained the nickname "The Glorious Glosters", for its heroic stand against overwhelming Chinese forces.

The regiment was one of the British Army's most battle honoured units, and amalgamated with the Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment in 1994 to form the 1st Battalion, The Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiment.

The regimental archives and memorabilia of The Glosters as well as their antecedents, The 28th and 61st Regiments of Foot are held by The Soldiers of Gloucestershire Museum which is located within the Historic Docks in Gloucester and available on-line at The Soldiers of Gloucestershire Museum.

In March 2005, it was announced that this regiment would merge with the Devonshire and Dorset Regiment to form the 1st Battalion, The Rifles.

from Gloucestershire Regiment

The Gloucestershire Regiment 28th/61st. have acquired several nicknames during their long history, The Old Braggs, Sliver Tailed Dandies, The Flowers of Toulouse but the one that has endured and is now recognised as the official nickname of the Royal Gloucestershire Berkshire Wiltshire Regiment is the 'Slashers'. Today the Battalion's Rugby Soccer teams are identified as the 'Slashers'. Hence when choosing a title for our website contacts page, introduced to unite former members of the Regiment with friends with whom they served, we had no hesitation in calling it 'Slashers Reunited'.

So how did the nickname 'Slashers' originate?

It dates back in fact to 1764 when the 28th found themselves on garrison duties in Montreal during a bitter Canadian winter. A certain Thomas Walker, a wealthy City merchant and magistrate was making life for the 28th and their families very difficult. He opposed the military government at every opportunity and being a local magistrate used his position to harass the soldiers unfairly.

The winter was severe and with no barrack accommodation in Montreal, he ensured that the officers and men were given the poorest and most uncomfortable quarters available. Soldiers and their families were regularly being evicted from their billets into the bitter winter cold for no good reason.

Matters were eventually brought to a head. The men of the 28th had had enough and decided amongst themselves that it was time to deal with Mr. Thomas Walker.

On the evening of the 6th December 1764 a group of men armed and disguised stormed into Walkers home whilst he was sitting at the dinner table with family and guests. The party scattered in fear of their lives and Walker tried in vain to reach for his weapons in the next room. He was attacked and it was said, defended himself with spirit, he was however overpowered and in the ensuing struggle a sword was drawn and half of his right ear was slashed off and taken as a trophy by his fleeing assailants.

The following day all hell broke loose in Montreal an inquiry was immediately launched and arrests quickly followed. Everything possible was done to try to identify the assailants to no avail. The soldiers stood by each others alibi's throughout the interrogation and nothing was ever established.

There was however plenty of evidence gathered, bloodstained jackets with 28th facings were found hidden, a Sergeant had borrowed a sword earlier in the evening. Certain soldiers were absent from their quarters at the time of the incident. But no one was brought to trial.

It was thought however that the perpetrators were probably Sgt. Rogers, Sgt. Mee, Pte's Coleman and McLaughlan all of the 28th. It was also believed that four other private soldiers were involved and the names of two officers, Capt. Payne and Lt. Tottenham were being mentioned in hushed terms.

So from the incident of 'Walkers ear' the nickname of the 'Slashers' found its way into the Regiments vocabulary.

In all it seems to have been a close 'Regimental Family' affair for nothing was proven and the true account of events was taken by the men of the 28th to their eventual graves. One certain fact however emerged....Nobody messes with the 28th and gets away with it!

The Slashers however was not the first neither was it the only nickname attributed to the Glosters in their long history.
Raised in Portsmouth, 1694, by Colonel John Gibson to be known as Gibson's Regiment of Foot. It was the birth of a regiment which was to travel far and fight hard, and which was to win the professional respect and regard of the British Army in generations to come. In 1704 Gibson sold his regiment, as was the way among the privileged of the time, to Colonel Sampson de Lalo. De Lalo exchanged regiments with John Viscount Mordaunt, Colonel of the 21st Foot.
in 1709 Lord Mordaunt returned to his old regiment when Colonel De Lalo was killed at Malplaquet. There was then a succession of Colonels commanding the regiment until in 1734 when Colonel Nicholas Price handed over to the most famous of the regiment's colonels of the early days, Colonel Philip Bragg.

The regiment became a happy and much esteemed one under Colonel Bragg, who commanded it for twenty-five years until his death in 1759. He was promoted Lieutenant General in 1747, he was Master of the Royal Hospital at Kilmainham, and he became Member of Parliament for Armagh.
He must have been a commander of great character, for not only did he leave his mark on the regiment, but his name is preserved in the cherished nickname of the regiment – 'THE OLD BRAGGS'.
In 1742 Braggs Regiment became the 28th Foot.

Long after General Bragg had died, legend has it that there was a certain brigade parade when a subsequent Colonel of the Regiment became annoyed at the special titles other colonels gave their Regiments. When his turn came he gave, the legend says, this strange word of command.

Neither King's nor Queen's, nor Royal Marines.
But 28th. Old Braggs:
Brass before and Brass behind.
Never feared a foe of any kind:
Shoulder Arms!

The other regiment that shares our history is the 61st Regiment of Foot later to become the 2nd Battalion, The Gloucestershire Regiment.
In 1814 the 61st were engaged in a violent and bitter attack against the French led by Marshal Soult, Napoleon's most able Marshal at the Battle of Toulouse.

The causalities of the 61st at Toulouse were 20 Officers and 161 men killed and wounded. The fatalities included their Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Colonel Coghlan. When the day's fighting was over the 61st. was left in command of a subaltern, Lieutenant Bace, the adjutant. The 61st had succeeded in driving back the enemy to the outer suburbs of Toulouse.
So impressed were those who saw the fighting of the 61st at Toulouse that the regiment was honoured by a new nickname. From the great number of bodies left on the field, in their scarlet uniform, they were called 'THE FLOWERS OF TOULOUSE' a proud tribute to their gallantry.

The Regiment had been given another nickname in the Peninsula. 'THE SILVER TAILED DANDIES'. Ascribed to the fact that they wore coats with longer tails than other regiments, decorated with silver skirt ornaments.

The Back Badge

For their gallantry in fighting back to back, the Regiment was given the unique honour of wearing a badge at the back of their caps. This honour has prevailed.

On the 1st February 2007 RGBWLI merged with the DDLI to become 1 Rifles. The regular battalions of the Rifles will wear the Back Badge with ceremonial dress, and officers and warrant officers will also wear it on side hats. The RGBWLI TA companies [based in Gloucester and Reading] will continue to wear the Back Badge on their berets, as will the ACF detachments based in Gloucestershire, Berkshire, Bristol and Wiltshire. The Back Badge will also be worn by the Band and Bugles of The Rifles on the 'shako'.

The Regiment, then the 28th Foot (North Gloucestershire) under the Command of General Sir Ralph Abercromby landed in Egypt against strong French opposition. They marched onwards to Alexandria where they brought the French army to Battle.

The 28th. took up a defensive position on a line of low sand hills. On their right was an old Roman fort, which stood on a slight rise close to the shore, and to the front of this was an unfinished redoubt, which was manned by the 28th. Between them, the fort and the redoubt formed the key position, for if either was taken, then the British flank could be turned.

Under the cover of the pre-dawn darkness and sand dunes, two columns of French infantry headed straight for the British right. Heavy fighting ensued and as more French columns joined the attack, the 28th. Became cut off. The British musketry drove off the French onslaught but a brigade of French infantry moved through the gap between the 28th. and the rest of the British line. A counter attack by the 42nd Foot drove off this attack but they in turn went too far and were themselves in danger from French cavalry. The battle raged all along the line, but nowhere as fiercely as on the right, with the 28th fighting to their front and flanks.

More French cavalry joined in, supported by more infantry. Some of the cavalry broke through the 42nd and formed up to charge the 28th in the rear. With no reserves available at this critical point in the battle, Lt. Col. Chambers, who had taken over command following the serious wounding of the C.O. Col. Paget, gave the historic order "Rear rank, 28th! Right about face!"

The rear ranks turned and with exemplary discipline waited until the French cavalry were a few horse lengths away. They then fired one devastating volley, causing heavy casualties amongst the cavalry and forcing them to withdraw.

Back Badge day is celebrated on the 21st day of March each year.

Thanks Niaco was pretty sure it was the Glosters mate. Quiet a few British Line Regiments had nicknames or depending on whence they were raised or what battle honours they received. There is a term I came across many years ago Lincolnshire Yellow Bellies. Refers to people from Lincolnshire England. BUt I believe it has more a Militaristic Nickname. Possibley Regiments from Lincolnshire had Yellow facing and trim on their uniforms hence the nickname

Maybe we could start a new thread on regiment histories and traditions. I'm sure other armies of the world have something unique about them. I've just followed a few of the British regiments and am only slightly aware of US traditions.

I agree Niaco. Not a bad idea whence Regiments get their names from or branches of the service. For example Royal Tank Regiment. Known as the Blues and Royals

Not something I've studied - just enjoyed reading about, like the history of the 24th Foot, now the South Wales Borders. Beside Rourke's Drift, they were in some hairy engagements. The 1st or 2nd Indian Rebellion they charged an enemy line with hardly nothing in the way of weapons and such and took the post. Interesting stuff.

Saw an interesting documentary about the 24th Foot South Wales Borders. And about Rourke's Drift and the Commanding Officers at Rourke's Drift. History details if I can recall it a bit different from the movie Zulu and the current overall impression since the 1870s of the defence of the Mission. The documentary discribed the leading events and subsquent aftermath of The Zulu Wars concerning Rouke's Drift as an 19th century spin job and a political face saving exercise for British High Command at the time. There are no problems concerning Rouke's Drift as such but once again such was the period of the time in the political arenea of the British Empire that the defense of Rourke's Drift was used afterwards to cover up blatant incomptent decission made by the British Army at the time in South Africa Niaco

Outside of the courageous stand at Rourke's Drift, the whole of the British part of the Zulu war was a mess as it is for most countries throughout history who expand their borders. The Zulus were trying to live within their tribal laws and English law intruded. While demands were made they were impossible to keep by the Zulus and hence the war. I believe alot of this led to the Boer Wars 10 or so years later with England. Great moment in the "Zulu" movie is when Odendorf tells M. Caine "Zulus are the enemies of our blood, but why are you English here. Its what you bloody English want after the war that concerns me (paraphrase here)" Love the line.

Movie wasn't too bad. Pastor Witt actually was one of the ones who first sighted the Zulus, wasn't a drunk and left of his own accord to summon help. But that doesn't take away from the movie that much for me. I understand Hollywood licensing, :D

England's colonialism in South Africa is interesting just as it is (to me) with India and Sudan. I love the US but GB has some great, interesting little wars.

Niaco England had her motives. No one denies it. All for Queen and Country Niaco. It was an Empire by the truest definition of the word

Users who are viewing this thread

Back