Anne Frank's barak burned to the ground

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
Sep 19, 2006
Dordrecht
www.redbeatband.nl
Only on the local news, so sorry, no English news site:

In 1957, 2 barracks from Konzentrations lager Westerbork were transported to Veendam to be used a s a shed. One of them was the place were a.o Anne Frank worked when she lived in the camp. This barrack was going to be transported back to Westerbork to get a place in the exhibition of the camp. Last night however, there was a fire in the barrack and the whole thing burned to the ground :(

m1dzdrba4a6k.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be rude but, whats the big deal?

Isnt she already dead?

Please dont take this as an insult of any kind.

Isnt she already dead?

It was going to be used as memorial to her. She happens to be one of the most known and recognized people who died in the Holocaust. That is what makes her barracks so significant.

It would be like if Mount Vernon were to burn down in the United States. George Washington is already dead right? It would not matter, it is still a thing of significance.

Understand?

Isnt she already dead?

Well, as Chris said she was an important historic figure and makes sure we never forget the horrors of Nazi regime. It's also a pitty that there are no more barracks left of this important camp.

Speaking of Anne Frank however, she actually died at the Belsen Bergen Concentration Camp in Germany. Here is a pic of her and her sisters "memorial" headstone that I took when I visited the concentration camp a few months ago. She is obviously not buried here though, it is only a memorial headstone.

Attachments

• af.jpg
    af.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 8,719
That's terrible!

Do they know why it burnt, Marcel?

No, it is still unknown or the police doesn't want to release what they know. Veendam is in the province of Groningen and I've recently read an article about the rise of right-extremism (nazi) ideas amongst the youth over there. Combined with the fact that the barrack would return to Westerbork and the media attention for that, I suspect that it could have been set on fire. But I'm not sure of course.

Found an English source:
http://obama.wsj.com/photo/03ET9aR6Wl0W9?q=Defense

Last edited:
although the loss of any historic structure is sad the book is by far the most important monument without it she would have been a statistic in the eyes of the general public as countless millions have become.

As long as they read her book, and understand why it is so important to remember her.

I'll second that. The loss of the building is sad, but we've still got her personal account. Which reminds me.....its about time to re-read that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back