Anthony Fokker...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Why did the British turn him down, when he offered them his services before WWI?
Makes you wonder what if......

From what I've read he was something of a shady character. Maybe the British Government felt the same way and decided they could do without another such an individual.

From what I've read he was something of a shady character. Maybe the British Government felt the same way and decided they could do without another such an individual.
he was a character allright.
But was he really turned down by the British? I've read the notion about this a couple of times, but don't remember to have read it in his biography. All stories about this seem to be superficial, so I'm suspecting a made up story instead of a solid fact. I cannot imagine Fokker to go to the UK while he was already established in Germany. But I might be wrong :)

I'd say due to the lack of focus and the resistance to recognise the importance of the aircraft in the British armed forces. Being a force still firmly believing in horse as the main source of recon let alone the thought of air attack. I'd say with hindsight they would have snapped him up. Have a read of the book called "no empty chairs" illustrates pretty well the thoughts on aircraft use in the British war machine before and during the start of WWI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back