Any P-38 fans out there?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What a great long distance aircraft - especially over water where that 2nd engine inspires confidence. I know from my private pilot days that I didn't like flying over large bodies of water in a single engine aircraft.

96416925_5xzoY-L.jpg

86694907_Mg357-L.jpg

86694886_UfQau-L.jpg

86694718_mEejH-L.jpg

more photos can be seen at SmugMug Photo Sharing. Your photos look better here.

I have always been a big fan of the P-38, ever since I began liking a/c; I never warmed up to the (IMHO) over-rated singles, like the P-51 the P-47. The list of superlatives you can apply to the P-38 is quite long and, furthermore, this aircraft was already flying almost 2 years before the P-51 and the P-47. It was the only fighter a/c in production at the beginning of the War AND the end of the War; that says something about how good it was. I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea . . . .

Nice shots. My favorite fighter. Have yet to see one in the air though. :( Only about seven airworthy Lightnings exist out of over 10,000 built.

Maybe someday.

TO

I have been a p38 fan since my youth. I have seen one up close in Belton, MO at a place called Big Irons many years ago. Never realized how huge a plane it is. I have since seen one fly at an airshow a few years back at the Kansas City Downtown Airport. What a treat!! Love the Mustangs, T-bolts, etc., but have a sweet spot for the P38. The movie " A Guy Named Joe" has some great footage of some early P38's in flight and on the ground.

Just some pictures I took of some P-38's at two consecutive years during the Nellis Aviation Nation airshow. The second one is the P-38 that was trapped in ice and was fished out... pretty cool stuff

tpiV_XnX2j9cl0Sr4OkkB-vm4czlUrhG

img120.jpg

The one recovered from the ice is "Glacier Girl". It's featured in the flight of three in my shots. The Red Bull P-38 was Left Gardner's "White Lightning" before.

Here is an older shot from back in the day when the CAF SoCal Wing had Jack Croul's Lightning in the hangar.

Attachments

• P-38Eric.jpg
    P-38Eric.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 545
Heres some of my P38 pics

Attachments

• 23 Skidoo and Joltin Josie on Tarmac Chino May 2007 a.jpg
    23 Skidoo and Joltin Josie on Tarmac Chino May 2007 a.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 494
  • 23 Skidoo on tarmac Chino May 2007 f.jpg
    23 Skidoo on tarmac Chino May 2007 f.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 530
  • 3 P38s in flight Chino May 2007 a.jpg
    3 P38s in flight Chino May 2007 a.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 537
  • P38 engine small a.jpg
    P38 engine small a.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 543
The one recovered from the ice is "Glacier Girl". It's featured in the flight of three in my shots. The Red Bull P-38 was Left Gardner's "White Lightning" before.

Cool stuff.. So evanglider, you ever come out to Vegas for the November air show?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back