anyone know what this is ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ah, okay, that makes sense now. It caught me eye right away because it really stands out since the colors haven't faded and it's so bright. I was actually familiar with the district flag, but I don;t know the districts. Neat stuff in the museum as well. Were you doing aviation archeology?

and a very rare piece, a WW 1 Beholla German aviators pistol at 7.65mm

the thing shoots great. Several old small hand helds were used by the Luftwaffe during the war. this neat item came with a clip and matching leather holster

Attachments

• 32_cal_-_a_c.jpg
    32_cal_-_a_c.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 446
my aviation archeology interest is one of my top 5 WW 2 loves. I have teams in France, Holland, Denmark and of course Germany. Primarily checking on German night fighter wrecks. My cousins Fw 190A-9 is still buried in a field in central Germany and I have friends there scouring out where it might be located. When my cosuin was killed and smashed into the wheat fields south of Hannover, it wasn't till 1946 that he and the a/c were found by the field owners son. His remains were then interred not more than 3-4 miles away from the crash site

Erich said:
ok something else for you a/c afficiendo's // this is actually part of the SturmFw that I own in a museum in the Czech republic. My freidns found old M round casings, glass, armor plate a full on BMW engine in shreds, part of the wooden prop, and twisted wreckage everywhere, including 1 quite bent up 3cm Mk 108 cannon

Wait...

You own an A-9? :confused:

WOW.

Even if it is in pieces, they're in good shape and that's really cool, unfortunate about your cousin though.

parts of a B-17 and parts of an SturmFw 190A-8/R2 flown by KIA pilot Siegfried Züber, and hopeful parts of my cousins Fw 190A-9 this year....

DAMN.

A great collection you've got there!

Two questions...

What type of pieces do the collections for the B-17 and A-8 encompass?

Also, the R2 is the armored tail-slicing Sturmbocke, right?

Sturmbocke - Assaultsomething, right? (Still bin lernen Deutsch, Ich sprechen nicht so gut - the pronunciation and grammar is ok, but the vocabulary for useful things (I know quite a bit of military things, or used to) is very limited...

For example, I don't know "know" in German... :oops:

GrG

Sturmjäger=Sturmböck

storm fighter=storming ram

the armored version some 500 pounds plus on the A-8 variant. Usually has all the armor on the fuselage, on the canopy sides, around the engine and cowling, under the wing edges and sometimes belley. armor around the cannon chutes and ammo boxes of the 2cm and 3cm wing weapons. the R2 was sometimes fitted with 13mm cowling mg's but sometimes not.

the usual wing set up was two 2cm cannon inboard and two 3cm cannon outboard.

Ok I have part of the metal from the wings and armored glass from the B-17 including details on the crewmen in part.

the heavy Fw 190 quite a bit more. three 2cm Minen rounds, excluding the explosive round itself. the metal-dark casings blown. several different parts of the internal frame work of the Fw 190 including one aluminum piece slightly twisted with the RLM number etched in. Armored glass, a complete or fairly so written text on the pilot and the whole bloody ugly mission that he was involved in. and last but not least for now, one 12 x 18 inch stell armor plate from the left rear section of the fuselage armor protecing the pilot. although rusted a bit it has the shape and two bolt holes where the armor was fitted onto the fusleage. must weigh some 25 pounds. ...... will try and get a scan of this heavy piece quite rare. this sounds a bit stupid but from what I gather this piece alone is worth about 500.00 dollars US, possibly much more. Engine parts and other hardware enroute ........

heres the funky looking Mk 108 cannon that was dug up at the crash site

Attachments

• ex6_0062.jpg
    ex6_0062.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 433
this is another display at that Czech museum I am researching and helping with. the evil raid over Chemnitz in the spring of 1945. At least 5 lancs were shot down by German ngiht fighters over what is now the Czech republic

Attachments

• p4-x_pic00046.jpg
    p4-x_pic00046.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 427
Hey Erich, I see that you are involved with the archeology side of things, which is really cool. Do you know of any organizations in Germany that are restoring and flying WWII airplanes? I ask because, as you know, I am a member of the CAF and Adler was looking for a similar organization over on Germany, preferrably near Ansbach. I am going to ask some of the guys at the museum this weekend, but figured you might know about some groups as well.
Thanks!

Evan yes there are several in Germany run by all age groups. The best bet in Germany is too check with the local airfield and see if there are any glider chaps or small aircraft followers. I mean by this, modellers or experimental a/c developers and flyers. also the Deutschland IMPMS may have contacts as well as local governmental agencies throughout the country.

what I have seen on the usual is very small bands of parties on a dig, as this is becoming somewhat popular but yet making sure that on the digs the proper authorities have been contacted as well as represntatives of the German Volksbund/WAsT (burial committee's) have been contacted. This may also involve the police and any environmental groups, but this latter depends on where the archaeology is being carried out. My friends in the czech republic have been doing this for quite sometime and they are in quite a mountainous areas and are not overall restricted by agencies on their frei hunts for information and bringing history to light.

I will have to look and see what offcial sources I have filed away but I know at least with governmental groups they should be listed on the net, though contact and whether or not they reply to an inquiry may take weeks, months or even years depending when the inquiry is applied and if it sits on someones desk or goes through the typcial shuffle.

Erich here is part of a Ju 88G-6 or what's left of it, scattered over Denmark in the backwoods

Attachments

• crash_2002.jpg
    crash_2002.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 433
back to the small arms. here is a box and it's contents. original WW 2 German 9mm ammo. a scarce commodity

Attachments

• box_closed_c.jpg
    box_closed_c.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 435
and here is what is inside ! warning this is not play stuff and should not be used at the firing range due to the age of the ammo

Attachments

• box_1944_b_c.jpg
    box_1944_b_c.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 402
actually I have a couple of boxes. the rounds are still encased in a wax substance so they are fine. Nice dry cool temp they are stored in too and away from everything, including the grand-daughters.

thankx for asking

have had it for years Les. It was all checked out through a very good friend and gunsmith.

anyone know what type of Mauser this is ? :D the header will probably give it away

Attachments

• rifle_buttc.jpg
    rifle_buttc.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 394

Users who are viewing this thread

Back