ANZAC Day flypast formation 2017 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gumbyk

Master Sergeant
Apr 2, 2009
Blenheim
I finally got to tick this off my bucket list this year. Flew as #2 in a 4 ship formation for a flypast at our local ANZAC day (Veterans Day equivalent) here in Blenheim, and then over the local airport, which is also an Air Force base. Hard work, but it won't be the last time I do it.
Also had a couple of cameras in the cockpit to record and review the flight. The main reason was for my own review, so the quality isn't the best, but I stitched something together to give an impression of what it was like.

Very Nice!
On 25 April 1915, the armies of Australia and New Zealand had their first battle of the First World War at Gallipoli, Turkey.
Australia had only been recognized as a federal commonwealth for thirteen years, and many Australians were sympathetic to the United Kingdom – they saw it as the motherland.
The volunteer armies were therefore keen to fight so they could secure a safe passage for allied navies.
Upon arriving, the Anzacs were met with immediate gunfire, and fought for eight months until a stalemate was forced.
Eight thousand soldiers lost their lives before the Allies ordered an evacuation.
Although the operation itself wasn't a success, the courage and determination shown by the Anzacs was immediately celebrated in Australia, London and even the Allies' camp in Egypt in 1916, with parades and ceremonies held in their honour.
By the 1920s, the date had become a way to remember the sixty thousand Australian soldiers who lost their lives in the war.
302306_326372714132687_1348101609_n.jpg
icon_salute_proper.gif

Apparently NZ soldiers had a more than 100% casualty rate on the Gallipoli peninsula. Soldiers were often wounded/sick, retired to the medical ships (so counted as a casualty) and then returned when recovered, got sick/wounded again, and around they went again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back