Are There Any Jazz Lovers Out There?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My wife got this for me, Christmas.

What a line-up-Kenny Burrell, Herbie Mann, Philly Joe Jones, Paul Chambers, and of course, the headliners.

I've always liked Chet Baker's music but he sure ruined himself. This is the story of a young musician who worked his way to the bottom of the barrel and kept on digging. It's a depressing documentary but the music is great.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bR95_w51gU

I recently bought an old jazz guitar. I've never been a jazz guitarist, I'm usually more attracted to blues and rock. But now I feel inspired to learn some jazz. Although I've been playing guitar for many years, this feels like learning to walk again, though :lol:

Last edited:
I recently bought an old jazz guitar. I've never been a jazz guitarist, I'm usually more attracted to blus and rock. But now I feel inspired to learn some jazz. Although I've been playing guitar for many years, this feels like learning to walk again, though :lol:
I attempted to learn how to play the guitar many years ago but I had to abandon the effort because of my handicap... no talent.

I recently bought an old jazz guitar. I've never been a jazz guitarist, I'm usually more attracted to blus and rock. But now I feel inspired to learn some jazz. Although I've been playing guitar for many years, this feels like learning to walk again, though :lol:
It's a different feel, for sure.
If it helps you any, though, Mark Farner played an L5 with no cutaway during most of his time with Grand Funk.
Check out Chris Whiteman's YT channel. Guy is a P-R-O. Did a lot of "Chord Melody" stuff early on, but now leans more towards teaching.
I think he uses the channel as part of his online teaching program.
...but I'm just here to post some Keith Jarrett, so....

View: https://youtu.be/SM36ykdccsQ

P.S. Post something of you playing some Jazz, once you get a handle on it. :thumbright:

Will take a while before I can post anything decent. I'm trying to learn that chord melody stuff. Decided on learning the most standard jazz song "Autumn Leaves" to have something to work with. Chord progressions are quite different and I can't remember when I last played any slash chords (nothing to do with the famous Gn'R guitarist).

Will take a while before I can post anything decent. I'm trying to learn that chord melody stuff. Decided on learning the most standard jazz song "Autumn Leaves" to have something to work with. Chord progressions are quite different and I can't remember when I last played any slash chords (nothing to do with the famous Gn'R guitarist).
Of course. You're tackling something new to you. It's going to take some time. However, with a little work, I'm sure you'll prevail wonderfully.
When you get there, I'd love to see a performance of Autumn Leaves from you.
...In fact, and not to beat this over your head, but I'm hoping it may help you, the Chris Whiteman guy I was telling you about, did a very nice rendition of Autumn Leaves. Maybe you can take something from this...

View: https://youtu.be/HufwnPGSwwI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back