Are There Any Jazz Lovers Out There?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words! It's eternally a work in progress. More so now because I've had a grand total of SIX freaking gigs in the last 8 months. Impossible to play/book indoor gigs when people are paranoid. I thought this crap would be over a couple of months ago but I digress. I'll leave it at that.

Edit - I LOVE that vid by the way. Always have been jealous of jazz guitarists. I'll eternally be a one note at a time kinda guy!

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Chris Whiteman (guitarist).
The guy just gets it.
Check his youtube channel for more like that.
...and congrats for having gigs in this time of COVID.
I know a lot of guys that haven't worked in a while because all their local clubs have shut down, or at least stopped playing music.
Enjoy the uptick while its here. You know how the works comes and goes. :rolleyes:

Elvis

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Chris Whiteman (guitarist).
The guy just gets it.
Check his youtube channel for more like that.
...and congrats for having gigs in this time of COVID.
I know a lot of guys that haven't worked in a while because all their local clubs have shut down, or at least stopped playing music.
Enjoy the uptick while its here. You know how the works comes and goes. :rolleyes:

Elvis
I'll definitely check him out!
Well, I wouldn't call a grand total of six gigs since mid March "working". My last gig was in August and I have zero......zip......nada in the books for anything in the future.
I don't play clubs much at all anymore except for R&B gigs, etc. My jazz work consists (well, did) of private functions, theaters and arts type supported events. None of which are happening right now and there's no light at the end of the tunnel either. On the positive side, I'm building models again. Something I didn't have time for the last 5 yrs. On the negative side, that brings in zero $$$. At least the big box store workers are still employed tho! :mad:

Man, that's GREAT stuff! I was already familiar with the '61 BG video but somehow missed the Rattle And Roll one. That also surprises me because I regularly follow the excellent blog/website that Mike Zirpolo does. He featured Rattle And Roll in a post here: "Rattle and Roll" (1945) Benny Goodman
I highly recommend checking out the rest of his site. Some fascinating stuff. Mike truly knows what he's talking about.

J.

My parents bought their house in the late 60's but it was originally built in 1940.
I was very young at the time and in the basement was a rather long room that only had some lumber in it and a large wooden cabinet.
It had been a long time since the doors on that cabinet were opened and they didn't want to budge.
I tried for months to open the doors on that cabinet...I just had to know what was inside!
One day, I succeeded and pulled up both doors to discover.......78 RPM RECORDS!!!
According to Dad, its an old Victrola Cabinet and is made to accept a "table top" version of the Victrola record player.
This was new to me, but I already knew how to handle records, so I plopped one on the record player and listened to the music.
I liked how it played at the same speed as my little yellow records did.
Eventually I learned about the different artists featured on those records and grew to like the music.
Since the internet has come to our lives, I've found out most of those records are a lot newer than what I thought they were.
Most date from the late 40's and early 50's, although there is a copy of Tommy Dorsey's Boogie Woogie in there, along with with a copy of Rattle and Roll on a 10" Columbia red label.
Look on the right side of the picture below and you'll see the arrow pointing to the cabinet.
Hasn't moved since mom and dad have lived there.

DSCN2649A.jpg

Elvis

I used to carpool with a lady who loved Jazz. I'd ride in the back seat of her two door sedan and listen to hard jazz all the way home. When we would get to my house the windows of the car would be bloody and my fingernails all ripped and twisted from me trying to get out of that car! o_O

My parents bought their house in the late 60's but it was originally built in 1940.
I was very young at the time and in the basement was a rather long room that only had some lumber in it and a large wooden cabinet.
It had been a long time since the doors on that cabinet were opened and they didn't want to budge.
I tried for months to open the doors on that cabinet...I just had to know what was inside!
One day, I succeeded and pulled up both doors to discover.......78 RPM RECORDS!!!
According to Dad, its an old Victrola Cabinet and is made to accept a "table top" version of the Victrola record player.
This was new to me, but I already knew how to handle records, so I plopped one on the record player and listened to the music.
I liked how it played at the same speed as my little yellow records did.
Eventually I learned about the different artists featured on those records and grew to like the music.
Since the internet has come to our lives, I've found out most of those records are a lot newer than what I thought they were.
Most date from the late 40's and early 50's, although there is a copy of Tommy Dorsey's Boogie Woogie in there, along with with a copy of Rattle and Roll on a 10" Columbia red label.
Look on the right side of the picture below and you'll see the arrow pointing to the cabinet.
Hasn't moved since mom and dad have lived there.

View attachment 601580

Elvis
What a great story! Man, I've had a LOT of 78's go through my hands over the years, but I probably only have a handful left. We have an "upright" victrola that I believe still works (haven't tried it in at least 10 yrs). Gotta dig some of the 78's out some day soon and see if it still works.
So judging by your drum setup, I take it you're a lefty? My regular drummer is a lefty as well. I've played with him for years now and I still sometimes get startled when I look back at him playing. Something just "doesn't look right" and then I realize what I'm seeing. Hahaha!!!

I used to carpool with a lady who loved Jazz. I'd ride in the back seat of her two door sedan and listen to hard jazz all the way home. When we would get to my house the windows of the car would be bloody and my fingernails all ripped and twisted from me trying to get out of that car! o_O

I could tell that SAME story by changing a couple of words. Substitute jazz for country or thrash metal.
So I gotta ask. You say "hard jazz". What exactly does that mean to you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back