Are There Any Jazz Lovers Out There?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Although this song pre-dates the war, it was still quite popular during that time...especially when played by The King of Swing himself, Benny Goodman.....

(I'll give you both versions, then you can decide which one you like)

Now here's an interesting one.
As most of us here know, during the war, there were a couple of clubs that the GI's could go to and have a good time before they shipped out.
They were known as "Canteens". There was one in NY and one in California (there may have been more, but those were the most famous ones).
During the war, a movie was made of the Hollywood Canteen, called Stage Door Canteen.
Famous entertainers of the time would come out and serve the GI's.
...and, of course, they entertained as well.
This segment features the Goodman Orchestra with a young girl singer named Patti Page. I believe this was her first hit song. She was 16 years old......

Finally, Goodman leads off here with a little, Let's Dance, then follows up with the classic Don't be that way.
This performance recorded October 7, 1985 at the NY Marriott Marquis.
More to come, but its late and I have to get to bed.
Enjoy! =)

...and now, onto The Count...Mr. Basie and his orchestra.
This footage is snipped from the 1943 film Reveille with Beverly.
The girl playing the DJ is none other than the lovely Ann Miller! ( :love4: )

...and finally, Count Basie and his Orchestra make an appearance in the Western classic Blazing Saddles.
The man riding the horse is the late great Cleavon Little.
The song you're hearing is April in Paris....

...and in case you're interested, here's the song in its entirety...

Last edited:
...and finally, Count Basie and his Orchestra make an appearance in the Western classic Blazing Saddles.
The man riding the horse is the late great Cleavon Little.
The song you're hearing is April in Paris....

...and in case you're interested, here's the song in its entirety...

Ahh yes, one of my all time favourite movies - my favourite scene is the toll gate. Only Mel Brooks could be that ????????

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back