Are There Any Jazz Lovers Out There?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Left FOOTED....since 1981!
I haven't owned a record player since 1993. It would be nice to listen to some of those old discs again.
Maybe I'll get one of those Crosley doo-hickey's they sell in the Fingerhut catalogue.

Elvis

Left FOOTED....since 1981!
I haven't owned a record player since 1993. It would be nice to listen to some of those old discs again.
Maybe I'll get one of those Crosley doo-hickey's they sell in the Fingerhut catalogue.

Elvis
Elvis, if I'm not mistaken, the "old style" looking (but new) record/cd/radio units you can get now can play 78's! We have one and I'll look to make sure. I can take a pic if you'd like!

J.

I believe you are correct...only mentioned because it was the first thing that came to mind when I thought about a record player.
I understand there are a few types available again, as vinyl is making a comeback.
Have to be careful with the needles, though.
Modern records require a narrower needle than the older records did.
If you use the wrong one, it will play, but I understand it will ride on, and eventually, eat away at, the bottom of the groove.

Elvis

Correct, sir! The one I have has extra/different needles for 78's! Who'da thunk?!

I like jazz, everything from the earliest recordings such as Paul Whiteman through Benny Goodman to Coltrane etc.
I've also been privileged to see Duke Ellington and Count Basie in concert. ( I've also seen Jimi Hendrix!)
Brian

I like jazz, everything from the earliest recordings such as Paul Whiteman through Benny Goodman to Coltrane etc.
I've also been privileged to see Duke Ellington and Count Basie in concert. ( I've also seen Jimi Hendrix!)
Brian

I've gotten to see Stan Getz (in Woolsey Hall), Lena Horne (at the Bushnell), and the Toshiko Akiyoshi & Lew Tabackin band on the New Haven Green. A local businessman (Brian Alden, whose stores, alas, closed in the early 1980s) sponsored a series of jazz concerts on the New Haven Green. I can't remember who else I saw there.

What exactly does that mean to you?

Since I don't know diddly squat about Jazz other than I generally don't like it, I decided to do a little research including listening to some posted here. First thing I learned was that there are a lot of different types of jazz. I've classified my acceptance into four segments. One, very pleasant, usually but not always because of a great singer, two tolerable for a short period of time, three, nice for elevator, four glass scratching bloody hands let me out of the car type. Examples of Type one, Susan Dalzell {very nice), some smooth jazz , Sarah Vaughan, 12 Girls Band, type two, some early bebop, type three, Don Shirley, Marcin Grochowina, and type four, CTI Summer Jazz at the Hollywood Bowl (site 68 on this thread).

You should know that my favorite band is The Four Seasons! And my favorite song is Oh, Pretty Woman, my wife's ring tone on my phone.

Well, that's EXACTLY why I asked that question. Not to pile on (okay, maybe a little) but you again state that "I don't know diddly squat about jazz other than I generally don't like it". Huh?
Over the years, when I've told people I just met that I play professionally, blah blah blah.......they ask me what kid of music I play. I'd say 90% of the time, when I say "I play primarily jazz" I've been hit with that deer in the headlights look, or my favorite: "Oh I love jazz. I love Kenny G".
Congrats on doing at least a little research!
However, as someone who's been doing this music you hate for about 40 yrs, I have to say that you have a LOT more "research" to do. Yes, there are probably a healthy baker's dozen of jazz "sub-types". Allow me to pontificate on some of your "selections":
"Type 1": Susan Dalzell. Well, I've never heard of her, so I looked on YouTube. From New Zealand? I found a grand total of ONE video of who I think is her. Sorry, that's not jazz.
"Type 2": Some early BeBop. You mean like Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk? If so, yup. That's definitely early BeBop and definitely jazz. I'm a huge fan of all of those players I just mentioned but I'll also freely admit that it was those players and the "BeBop Movement" in general that alienated the "average Joe" from jazz. During the 20's through the 40's, jazz was THE pop music of the time. Why? Because it was relatively easy for the average person to listen to. It wasn't overly musically complicated, quite often featured singers and people could "relate" to it. The BeBop innovators changed that and made the music far more complex (in many ways) and ended up turning off the average listener. The music is in many ways FAR more interesting, difficult and/or challenging for a musician, but again, the average listener gets lost within minutes. It's stayed that way for decades now.
"Type 3": Shirley and Grochowina: Good stuff.......primarily solo piano stuff. I'd love if you checked out solo piano stuff of Bill Evans and Oscar Peterson.
"Type 4": CTI was a record label (Creed Taylor) that featured a wide spectrum of different styles of jazz that was played by the people/groups Taylor signed to the label. Everything from Freddie Hubbard to Hank Crawford to Bob James. Some of which were definitely jazz, while others I'd argue weren't. So CTI was a record label, not a jazz sub-type.
Lastly.......regarding the Four Seasons. Absolutely NOTHING wrong with them but it's (obviously) FAR from any kind of jazz. Have you ever checked out The Four Freshmen? If not, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised!

Sorry for the long missive...

J.

We had Mr. Gorelick's first album, G Force at the radio station when I was at DJ school.
At the time, it was a killer album. A little different than the stuff he's mostly known for...

...of course Jazz takes many forms. Did you know this is actually a Jazz tune? Yep, its the lead track off of Herbie's electric Jazz album that year, Future Shock....

Ahh yes.........the venerable Mr. Gorelick. Funny story.......his brother was the choir director at Univ. of WI Stevens Point back in the early 80's when I spent a very forgetful year at UWSP before auditioning for and joining the USAF Band. Elvis, I assume you're familiar with the stuff he did with Jeff Lorber? VERY good stuff. Mr. G. could actually play at one point!
Stan Getz.....one of the last concerts/gigs I did with the AF Band was with Stan Getz at a jazz fest. I was just recently listening to a 4 cd kind of "anthology" of his stuff that I have and it's quite amazing to hear how his playing, concept and sound changed over the years. If you have a chance sometime, check out early Getz. You'd never guess it was the same player that evolved into "Mr. Bossa Nova" later!
Yeah, my bad for forgetting to mention Keith Jarrett. He's a mofo for sure!

Yeah, Kenny Gorelick was lead sax at the University of WASHINGTON's (Go Huskies!) jazz band for a few years.
He's from here.
His family owns a chain of stores around here, I think.

I appreciate the time you spent responding to me. I am quite impressed on the level of musical knowledge and the incredible ability to play instruments of the various jazz performers I listened to. Its way beyond my comprehension, after all I played third seat, third clarinet for three years in the beginning band at Warrington Jr. High School (I still have that doggone clarinet). For some reason, music goes into my ear and then just bounces around in my skull till is disappears. I literally cannot sing and clap at the same time. As for liking jazz, I tend to look for repetition in music like a dance step (which I cannot not do either) 1234,1234,1234, but I perceive jazz to be like pi, 3.14159265 on and on. While I can enjoy a jazz song for a while I get to 3.1415 and then start looking for a repeat. When it doesn't happen, I start getting anxious.

Ricky May and Susan Dalzell were in one of the posted videos. I listened to Bill Evans and Oscar Peterson and enjoyed their music.

The first 17 minutes of the CTI festival video kinda represents the type of jazz that if I accidently tuned in, I would quickly move to another station.

The Four Freshmen are ok and similar to some other groups and was one of the several groups that were ushering in rock and roll. The Beach Boys remade one of their songs, although with different lyrics, and stated that they were influenced by them. Other groups that were popular during this period were the Four Freshmen, the Four Aces, the Lettermen, and some others. The Beach Boys, Four
Seasons, and, of course, the Beatles, completed the transformation of popular music, along with quite a few other musicians.

My wife keeps poking her head into my office saying, "Are you still playing jazz?.

Pleasure is mine! Seriously. Since this is not only what I do for a living, but my #1 "hobby" (okay, other than building models), I honestly enjoy giving people information about something that I'm pretty passionate about.
I'll just say this...... Bottom line is you enjoy whatever music it is you want to enjoy. I guess my main objective in my initial response to you was to let you know there are just SO many different types of jazz that it's (no offense) downright silly to try to lump it all into one category. You already know that, but I'd still encourage you to check out some other styles of this music. Personally, I don't just listen to one genre. I go back and forth mostly between classic big band era stuff (Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Count Basie, Glenn Miller and mostly Artie Shaw) and stuff that you'd consider "hard jazz", like John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Charlie Parker, Sonny Stitt, etc.
I totally get the need to hear repeats, verses, choruses, etc. The problem for non musicians is it's almost impossible for them to hear those things in music that's not only strictly instrumental, but more complex instrumental stuff! Trust me though, it's there!
If you prefer lyrics/singers, definitely check out some of the classic Glenn Miller stuff that they recorded in the early-mid 40's. Here.........I'll toss you a few examples!

Ever heard of Matt Monro? British singer who was VERY popular. He sang the theme to Born Free. Here's a taste of one of my favorite recordings of his....

Then there's Steve Lawrence....

There's just SO much. Hope you enjoy!

It seems, if DavParlr wants to try Jazz, he might want to start with one or more of the myriad for forms Jazz takes, that isn't necessarily "straight ahead" Jazz.

Most of us find it through our own musical wanderings, sliding in via a form of Jazz, usually in the guise of "light pop" music.
Something that bases itself on a repeating rhythm that accents the 2 and the 4 (commonly referred to as a "backbeat") and works in 12-16 bar sections.
I've actually heard people call this "Jazz", in the past...

...I might consider it more of a modern soul song, but that's where interpretation comes into play.

There was a time (maybe still?) where people scratched their "Jazz itch" via a form of R'n'B infamously known universally as Smooth Jazz...

...others took a more Urban route...

...and others still come from a more Rock'n'Roll slant...

...so as you can see, there's many ways to slide into the Jazz idiom, but I think the best way is to just go on enjoying what you enjoy for now and find it on your own, in your own way.
You don't necessarily have to understand it, you only have to enjoy it.
Eventually, pretty much all of us, come to perch on our own Jazz Roost, even if only for a while.

Elvis

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread