Are you or have you ever been in the Armed Forces?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the way you were so sure you could kill someone Crippen, no one knows if they can actually kill someone until the time comes. So I wouldn't be too sure...

Medvedya said:
Halifax, Nova Scotia was named after the Earl of Halifax - but I guess you already know that one! What I've just looked up here is that most of your city was completely trashed in 1917 when an ammunition ship blew up! :shock:
Actually, I did know the origin of Halifax's (Nova Scotia) name. We learned it in school. I not only work here, but I'm from Nova Scotia. I'm a 'Blue Noser'! :lol:
My mother's parents survived the explosion of 1917, which was felt as far away as Cape Breton, in the north eastern part of the province. It was the largest man made conventional (i.e. non-nuclear) explosion, and leveled most of the city.

Trivia: To this day, the city of Halifax donates a large Christmas tree every year to the city of Boston, Massachusetts as a small token of thanks for their tremendous support and generosity, following the disaster of 1917. Halifax considers Boston as it's "sister city".

plan_D said:
I like the way you were so sure you could kill someone Crippen, no one knows if they can actually kill someone until the time comes. So I wouldn't be too sure...

I dunno. I'm pretty sure I could kill, sometimes!

I'm sure most people in this world are sure they can. You never know though until they have to, if they have to. Some of the reactions from soldiers, the first time they kill someone is amazing...the range of reaction. Some laugh hysterically and look to be enjoying it...and at the other end they just break down and cry.

Apparently though...more you kill, easier it gets.

Situations dictate how it happens. It is one thing to be getting shot at and return the fire to make it stop. To be quite honest, the killing is easy and doesn't change (at least in my experience). What happens afterward is what is difficult and it never gets easier, you just kind of numb yourself to it to survive.

There are some things that you don't remember for years, and something triggers that memory out of nowhere. Usually (Les, you probably have had this as well), a smell will trigger something. Some smells will instantly transfer you back, good or bad. There are other things that you will never forget, though you wish you could. What ends up happening is you learn to make friends with it, so to speak.

I don't normally speak about this subject, but if it helps others to understand, I sometimes will chime in. Every person does handle it differently and the same is true the first time a bullet goes zinging by your head. Some just react, some curl into a ball and sob. Others, some of the ones that seem the most unlikely, show uncharacteristic bravery. It is very difficult to describe and nothing can fully train you for it because everyone reacts to the stressors differently. That is why teamwork is so important. The ones that handle it well help the ones that do not, or at least get them focused to respond to the threat.

I was told a little story about that.

Shortly after D-Day, a regiment of Canadian commandos captured a bunch of German soldiers. When the Canadian translator explained to the guys that they were P.O.W.s and wouldn't get killed, a German f*cker spit on the translator. The commando carrying the .50 machine gun pushed the translator away and said :

- Get off, buddy. That guy spit for the last time of his life.

And killed him (with the .50, of corse.) Guess how the other Canadian commandos reacted ? They vomited on the ground.

I am known for being a softy and have to look after everyone, also for being a bit of an Emily Pankhurst ( fight for the rights of the underdog all the time).
But ( from experiences I explained earlier I have learn't to fight back) in a defence situation something 'kicks in', I would protect myself, my kids ( and anyone elses kids come to that).
I have been attacked twice whilst out, one tried to steel my bag, the other wanted to steel a bit more, both were men over 6' tall ( I am 5' 3' and 8stone), both times they came off worse.
So when I say I could kill..... ... yep I am sure ( though I wouldn't want to take another persons life :( .... if I had to, I sure would :mad: ).

Hey Med, you are a bit of a smarty pants ain't cha................... or?! are you just very quick on Google M8 :lol:

BIG BIG loving Hugs to all, from the Mancs from Lancs. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

oi hands off....

aww now how can i stay mad at you cripps, just don't do it again babes, you're makin me jealous :cry:

and i had no idea you had kids, i guess that makes you to old for me?? unless you're from essex in which case you could have 2 kids and still be in my age range :lol:

you are both crazy dudes.... :lol: (chuckles)

I am trying to remain faithful Lancs honest, though that Nonskimmer keeps trying to lead me astray (I'm trying to think like a normal woman here playing you off against one another.... but I am a tad s**t at it, which is obvious coz I am telling you both...story of my life :lol: :lol: ).
see you behind the bike shed at 11pm Lancs.... I will make it up to you 8) :shock: .... you will recognise me, Med said I will be wearing cloggs and a shawl ( do you know him he is the cheeky boy from Bristol)

Tell you what, why not start a thread for mug-shots?

Edit: oh, I always though that you and Lanc were schoolfriends or something......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back