August 21,1968-the end of Prague Spring

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you friends!
Glad to know you like this thread...
I´m posting another pics yet...

Attachments

• prague1.jpg
    prague1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 72
  • prague2.jpg
    prague2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 67
  • prague3.jpg
    prague3.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 63
  • prague4.jpg
    prague4.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 59
  • prague5.jpg
    prague5.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 64
surprisingly in my local it was pb. I remember even at a younger age how scared the Russki soldiers looked
That was probably the most eventful summer in history all the rioting in the US RFK , Maartin Luther King assaninated , Biafra , Democratic convention . Pope bans contraceptives, first black guy ever wins Medal of Honour
as for Mosic the rise and fall of the Tardbirds
Led Zep , Rush , Cream , Deep Purple created
Gilmour joined Floyd

I agree...

Ukraine maybe?

ukraine isnt a soviet´s satelite state, its a sovereign country, why should the russians intervent over a foreign country to contain a public manifestation ? im not siyng its totally impossible, but wich scenario could led russia to invade ukraine to fight againt protesters ?

ukraine isnt a soviet´s satelite state, its a sovereign country, why should the russians intervent over a foreign country to contain a public manifestation ? im not siyng its totally impossible, but wich scenario could led russia to invade ukraine to fight againt protesters ?

´cause Ukraine is in their sphere of interest. Russia lost a lot of teritory of their political influence at the end of 80´s as east germany,poland,czechoslovakia and hungary...and doesn´t want to loose any country anymore...
We were also sovereign country in ´68 but you know what happened then...
Do you know there are negotations between USA-Poland-Czech Republic about US anti missiles defence? USA want to have missiles in Poland and anti missiles radar in Czech Republic...you should hear Russian (and especially Putin´s) expressions after every movement in the negotations...
...and btw, Ukraine wants to join NATO...

sad pictures Seesul. That's the part of our common history which should never be repeated.

...and btw, Ukraine wants to join NATO...

their prowestern goverment wants. About 60% of Ukrainans are against it.
And military confrontation with Ukraine is something beyond any imagination. That's virtually impossible.

Czechoslovakia was a sovereign state as well.

I did not say anything about invading because of protesters or anything....

I just said that Ukraine could be a future target of Russia, in Russia's bid to regain a sphere of influence and become a world super power again. Put emphasis on could.

Do you know there are negotations between USA-Poland-Czech Republic about US anti missiles defence? USA want to have missiles in Poland and anti missiles radar in Czech Republic...

Roman as a Czech citizen, what is your opinion on the matter of the Nuclear Missile Defence system? I think it would be great to hear the opinions of the people from these countries.

I think I will start a thread as well...

their prowestern goverment wants. About 60% of Ukrainans are against it.
And military confrontation with Ukraine is something beyond any imagination. That's virtually impossible.

I would not say impossible my friend. You never know what will happen in this volotile world.

I certainly hope not however, for the sake of the world and for the sake our great nations.

Believe it or not (despite all the talk that goes on in this forum), I have no problem with the Russian people. Just as you dislike our government, I dislike and have a strong distrust for the Russian government.

I however have nothing against the Russian people. I have several Russian friends and even dated a Russian girl for a while before I met my wife. I have always been interested and fascinated in Russian culture and food. When I was a child growing up, my dream was to work as Foriegn Service Worker at the US Embassy in Moscow in the Soviet Union (the fall of the Soviet Union kind of destroyed that dream! :lol:), and when I was in High School I even tried to learn Russian. I still know a few words and phrases.

Just as you dislike our government
I wouldn't say I dislike it - its foreign policy simply has at the moment too many points where the USA interests contradict to the interests of Russia. So as a Russian citizen I can't agree with it but objectively speaking it's Bush goverment "real politics" and I can't really blame them for that. Anyway I truly miss the golden years of the US-Russ relations under Clinton administration, even if that partnership was sometimes rather destructive to the Russian economy despite all credits given etc and some terrible miscalculations were made by both sides.

I still know a few words and phrases.

ruki vverch? :D

Great post Roman! Thanks for doing it so comprehensively. Every other year, it was me who was putting up the anniversary here. I'm glad I have a reliable successeor. But the main reason was that my PC got f***ed up...

I was getting through the anniversary very extensively this year, I had watched the special programs on the Czech TV and studied books and articles that were written about this theme.

Brother of my mother-in-law was one among those several hundred victims that the Russians left behind when they had entered this country...

The more I was digusţed, when I attended a "performance" (I don't know how to describe this better!) in front of the National Museum in Prague (situated on Prague's main boulevard, it was mistaken for a Czechoslovakian Parliament by the Soviets, hence they opened fire on it). So, there was a Russian T-54 type tank installed, with its gun pointed at the museum building, with five guys sitting on it, dressed like Soviet soldiers. Czech! people walking around were placing their own kids on the tank and were taking photos of them, smiling, like it would be some ****ing attraction or something...

But I was really waken up from the letargy when I saw some Russian tourists, being photographed in front of the tank by their fellow and posing very victoriously. From an angle so the Prague Castle could be seen on the picture...

Well, Cold War II has just started.

I've found banana box that once belonged to my wife's grandpa, who was a journalist, with a set of blacknwhite photographs that were taken by his friend on the day of the occupation [21st Aug 1968] that were actually never published! I have my plans how to publish them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back