Australian 'Comfort Woman' Survivor to Testify Before Congress on February 15

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What's the point? the investigation will come back saying they committed no crimes, all these women went freely to the brothels they all had a great time etc etc. If this knob jockey doens't take any notice of the witnesses and the documented history on Japanese brutality, then what hope do we have.

The individuals who commit crimes should be held responsible but trying to extend the blame to nations or ethnic groups seems more problematic.

Japan was on the side of America and Britain in World War I. Dioes this mean that the allies were the bad guys in that war?

The individuals who commit crimes should be held responsible but trying to extend the blame to nations or ethnic groups seems more problematic.
No one is trying to do that - the truth is the J-A-P-A-N-E-S-E committed horrific war crimes against Korean and Chinese civilians as well as allied POWs
Japan was on the side of America and Britain in World War I. Dioes this mean that the allies were the bad guys in that war?
A totally stupid and ignorant comment - if you pulled your head out of your @ss you would find that the Japanese roll in WW1 was limited as they didn't get a chance to show the world how brutal they could really be. I suggest some remedial history classes....:rolleyes:

300px-Slayers.jpg

Two Japanese officers, Toshiaki Mukai and Tsuyoshi Noda competing to see who could kill (with a sword) one hundred people first. The bold headline reads, "'Incredible Record' (in the Contest To Cut Down 100 People—Mukai 106 – 105 Noda—Both 2nd Lieutenants Go Into Extra Innings"​

I hope they both got a bullet.

"The news coverage of the event found its way into the documents of the International Military Tribunal for the Far East. Soon after, the two soldiers were extradited to China, and on January 28, 1948, both soldiers were executed at Yuhuatai execution chamber by the Chinese government following trials by a Nanking military court for atrocities committed during the Battle of Nanking and the subsequent massacre."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contest_To_behead_100_People

No one is trying to do that - the truth is the J-A-P-A-N-E-S-E committed horrific war crimes against Korean and Chinese civilians as well as allied POWs

A totally stupid and ignorant comment - if you pulled your head out of your @ss you would find that the Japanese roll in WW1 was limited as they didn't get a chance to show the world how brutal they could really be. I suggest some remedial history classes....:rolleyes:

Not so FBJ the Japanese had already shown the world their brutality in Korea in late 1800s. The rape and murder of the Last Queen of Korea in 1895 by Japanese Ctizens and Soldiers had already displayed their brutality to the Koreans and subsquent murders of Koreans in various protest rallies and uprisings in Korea by the Japanese had displayed what type of humanity the Japanese had towards a foe or conquered people they ruled over. the Koreans have a long painful memory of Japanese rule for nearly a century. Even the British in their Empire didn't go to the extend of rape torture and eventual murder of a member of any royal family in any country they had established the empire in.

Oh by the way the Queen of Korea before she was murdered was sexualy assaulted brutally raped stabbed , then her body was burnt its unsure if she was still alive by this time.

As for Russian POWs from border dispute in Manchuria 1938 with Japanese Army. Some of these Russian POWs were used in live human medical experiments in Manchuria by Japanese Chemical and Biological War Fare Unit. The POWs after being infected by Biological or Chemical agents were sent to labs and dissected alive and experiments conducted further on the torso of the POW after arms and legs removed from the Russian POW by Japanese Doctors. Similar experriments were carried out on Chinese Civilians at same time. A high level of Bubonic Plague in Manchuria occured towards the end of WW2 with fleas being released by the Japanese in the area of the Bio/Chem Research Units and this is documented by not only the Allies but by the Chinese Government themselves at the time.

Allied POWs were used in vivsection experiments on a number of occassions not just in the Bio/Chem labs in Manchuria as well. Oh by the way vivsection means the victim is cut apart alive with out use of any form of drugs to render the victim comatosed etc. Victim is virtually cut apart or dissected in full knowledge of the operation in this case. In other words victim is well awake during proceedure. It is recorded that Russian American Chinese POWs were dissected in this manner. One incident of an American B29 crew member was taken to a hospital being wounded etc. His lung was removed after sea water had been injected into his viens to see if sea water could be used as a substitute for saline solution by the Japanese Doctor in charge of experiment. The liver of this Crew Member was then removed and served to local military commander for a banquet meal. Conimar. does that answer your question about Russian American and Chinese POWs and treatment of such by Japanese.

I suggest you need to do more study on this subject. And still you have yet to address the treatment of Comfort Women of the Japanese and the denial by the present Japanese Govt of these women

~S~ All,
My Mother was an Army nurse during WWII. She was stationed here in the US. Till the day she died she hated the japanese. Her job was to take care of the soldiers coming back from the war paralized. Most were young boys 17yrs old to early 20`s who had been bayoneted by the japanese soldiers. I guess it was big fun to make an American soldier kneel down and then stab them in the lower back with those long skinny bayonets.
My mother was busted a couple of times smugglin alcohol into them. She felt that it could`nt hurt them after what had been done to them and the fact that they were only able to lie in a bed the rest of their lives.
I don`t really remember what hospital she was working in the last time she got busted. I think it was a VA in Penn. But I do know that she was shipped to Camp LaJune, ("I know I mispelled it") after disobeying a direct order.
The hospital in Penn had a ward full of japanese soldiers and she was ordered to take care of them. My mother was a good catholic girl and this order was a real issue. She had developed a hatred for the japanese after taking care of the boys on the para ward. So after much thought and prayer she went to her CO and came clean about her feelings. She told her CO that she could not take care of the japanese prisoners because she would murder every one of them. The Co promptly court martialed my Mother and she was again busted in rank and sent to the bad girls base. This did not bother my Mom though. She was first a nurse not a soldier and taking care of people did not involve a rank. It also let her finish the war with a clean soul.
In this time of political correctness predjudice of any kind is not acceptable. But I have a hard time forgetting the stories my Mother told me about the kids, ("I have four kids of my own") that were coming back from the Pacific in wheel chairs and confined to beds for the rest of their lives. I can not imagine what it was like. But I will never forget the pictures my Mother painted in my mind.
What the japanese did is every bit as evil as what the Nazi did in Europe to the Jewish race.
The comfort girl history was a terrible offence and completely unforgiveable. I have an ancient friend who married one of these comfort girls from Korea and she at this advanced age still has nightmares. the adage time heals all wounds is bull. Tell that to her! And to think that the japanese to this day will not accept the responsibility is just another atrocity.
The japanese believed their Emperor was a God and they were all loyal to that God. They should be held accountable.
My opinion is that, "the US" dropping two bombs, was easy on them. 10 bombs should have been dropped on them. That whole island should have been turned in to a big radioactive wasteland.
Rall

Not so FBJ the Japanese had already shown the world their brutality in Korea in late 1800s.
I was directing this more towards WW1 where the Japanese captured few prisoners and where little if no reports were made on them brutalizing these prisoners as they did in pre-war and WW2.

It seems in the Russo-Japanese War there were little prisoners taken as many Russian Sailors perished when their fleet got mauled.

I suggest you need to do more study on this subject. And still you have yet to address the treatment of Comfort Women of the Japanese and the denial by the present Japanese Govt of these women

I assume you're addressing Cojimar 1945 - I agree.....

Yes FBJ last comments were not directed at you. Sorry for misunderstanding. I read Ralls posting very interesting about his Mother. Put it this way Rall my uncle was a POW of the Japs in Changi Singapore for 3 1/2 years. What he told us was appalling and what he told us of treatment of his fellow POWs by the Japs. No wonder my uncle hated the Japanese but he also had Korean Guards there too. He hated them equally.

FBj if you ever get the chance read the biography called Weary. Its about the life of Sir Edward Ernest Dunlop. The book details his life as a doctor in the Australian Army and his diaries of his time as a POW from Indonesia to Singapore finally to Thailand on the Railway. He suffered much as did his fellow POWs he was Knighted twice. once by the Crown and once by the King of Siam for services to his fellow man. Weary as he became known to many Aussies forgave the Japanese and Korean Guards but Weary was an Aussie symbol to many of us Aussies serving with courage and dignity in dreadful conditions and as a doctor he gave back more of himself to his fellow POWs then he had to. He was an ANZAC to all degrees and a great man even though Weary would say of himself he was doing his duty as not only as a man but as a soldier /surgeon. He later help to organize in Australia the Columbo Plan to give education to S.E.Asian Citizens the chance to be educate and give back to their countries after the War the services these other countries needed and was lacking. But he never forgot his time as a POW. He passed away 2nd July 1993. He is sadly missed by many an Aussie. he became well known on our TV screens here FBJ from the Mike Walsh TV show and was a frequent guest of Mike Walsh Show. When Weary spoke with humour and compassion for his fellow man and displayed courage in conditions that would break a lesser man Aussies listened. He was one of us FBJ. But more so he became a symbol of courage and devotion to duty and he is one ANZAC many of us have never forgotten. He was a tough man as well as a gentle surgeon doctor. He played Rugby Union for Australia and once set his own broken nose by inserting 2 pencils into his own nose and straightening the bone without use of drugs. He withstood the beatings of the Kemptai with the same stoic courage whilst a POW as he did everything in his life. he became known as the Doctor of the Burma Thai Railway as an angel to the dying and the sick and he showed no fear to the Japanese or Korean guards and at times treated them with concealed contempt at the time. Bluey Butterworth his Batman spoke often of his high regard for Weary the Man the Doctor the Officer and the Hero of Thousands. Without Weary many men would have never returned to Australia England Holland India Malaysia Singapore or New Zealand. As you can tell FBJ I admire Weary Dunlop as a true Aussie

I was curious about Japanese conduct during WWI and the Russo-Japanese war rather than the crimes of the post WWI era which seem to be extremely well documented.

I was curious about Japanese conduct during WWI and the Russo-Japanese war rather than the crimes of the post WWI era which seem to be extremely well documented.

There is very little written about it but from I read they were actually treated pretty fair, but at that time the full Bushido mentality didn't infect this growing modern military.

Yes FBJ last comments were not directed at you. Sorry for misunderstanding. I read Ralls posting very interesting about his Mother. Put it this way Rall my uncle was a POW of the Japs in Changi Singapore for 3 1/2 years. What he told us was appalling and what he told us of treatment of his fellow POWs by the Japs. No wonder my uncle hated the Japanese but he also had Korean Guards there too. He hated them equally.

FBj if you ever get the chance read the biography called Weary. Its about the life of Sir Edward Ernest Dunlop. The book details his life as a doctor in the Australian Army and his diaries of his time as a POW from Indonesia to Singapore finally to Thailand on the Railway. He suffered much as did his fellow POWs he was Knighted twice. once by the Crown and once by the King of Siam for services to his fellow man. Weary as he became known to many Aussies forgave the Japanese and Korean Guards but Weary was an Aussie symbol to many of us Aussies serving with courage and dignity in dreadful conditions and as a doctor he gave back more of himself to his fellow POWs then he had to. He was an ANZAC to all degrees and a great man even though Weary would say of himself he was doing his duty as not only as a man but as a soldier /surgeon. He later help to organize in Australia the Columbo Plan to give education to S.E.Asian Citizens the chance to be educate and give back to their countries after the War the services these other countries needed and was lacking. But he never forgot his time as a POW. He passed away 2nd July 1993. He is sadly missed by many an Aussie. he became well known on our TV screens here FBJ from the Mike Walsh TV show and was a frequent guest of Mike Walsh Show. When Weary spoke with humour and compassion for his fellow man and displayed courage in conditions that would break a lesser man Aussies listened. He was one of us FBJ. But more so he became a symbol of courage and devotion to duty and he is one ANZAC many of us have never forgotten. He was a tough man as well as a gentle surgeon doctor. He played Rugby Union for Australia and once set his own broken nose by inserting 2 pencils into his own nose and straightening the bone without use of drugs. He withstood the beatings of the Kemptai with the same stoic courage whilst a POW as he did everything in his life. he became known as the Doctor of the Burma Thai Railway as an angel to the dying and the sick and he showed no fear to the Japanese or Korean guards and at times treated them with concealed contempt at the time. Bluey Butterworth his Batman spoke often of his high regard for Weary the Man the Doctor the Officer and the Hero of Thousands. Without Weary many men would have never returned to Australia England Holland India Malaysia Singapore or New Zealand. As you can tell FBJ I admire Weary Dunlop as a true Aussie

Great info Emac! :thumbright:

Some sources indicate extensive atrocities by Chinese/North Koreans against UN forces during the Korean War. There were also atrocities committed by the South Koreans and their allies during the conflict. How did the atrocities in this conflict compare to those in World War II?

Prime Minister Abe should have devoted a lot more time to making truly compassionate remarks for those who actually suffered as comfort women, or as POWs and other victims for that matter, before he defended the perpetrators' side on what he thought was factual errors in the U.S. Congress resolution. I don't think he was trying to deny everything about the tragic experiences of those old ladies.

I believe he was responding to statements like this one below expressed by the chairman of the House Subcommittee on Asia, the Pacific, and the Global Environment at a Congressional hearing in February.
Some may say the past is the past and that the US is also an offender and violator of human rights. Maybe this is so. But nowhere in recorded history has the US military as a matter of policy issued a directive allowing for the coercion of young women into sexual slavery or forced prostitution. On the other hand, this is exactly what the Japanese military did

The Japanese authorities did not have such a policy either. Nor did they issue a directive of the kinds at any time. Mr. Abe was actually right about this specific point. But of course he should have addressed the suffering those women experienced first.

Thankyou for your post. It is interesting to see this from the point of view of a Japanese person. Welcome to the site.

I however do have to question that however.
It was a popular practice to use these women as sex slaves was it not?

There were camps set up where the women were kept and used for "comfort" was there not?

There were thousands of these "comfort" women correct?

The government knew about what these women were used for correct?

Therefore yes it was policy of the Japanese authorities. If the government and the high ranking Japanese officers did not do anything to stop it then it was policy.

Not putting them in your history books is denial...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back