B-17 and B-24 questions...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
Well I have been gone, I have watched some movies and read books, now they leave me with questions.....

1. Who controlled the chin turret on the B-17G?
2. Who manned the Nose turret on a B-24? (A seprete gunner or navigator or who?)
3. What were the engineers responsibilities on the plane
and
4. Was there a gun for the radio operator on a B-17G?

Well I have been gone, I have watched some movies and read books, now they leave me with questions.....

1. Who controlled the chin turret on the B-17G?
2. Who manned the Nose turret on a B-24? (A seprete gunner or navigator or who?)
3. What were the engineers responsibilities on the plane
and
4. Was there a gun for the radio operator on a B-17G?

1. The Bombadier
2. A seperate gunner from what I understand
3. They sat between the pilots and told them to "shut up and steer." No - actually they monitored engine performace, transfered fuel (if the aircraft was equipped for that) and took care of troubleshooting mechanical problems.
4. Yes

Joe is right on all counts H, with the exception of the last, to an extent. The later B17G models deleted the radio room Browning .50 cal, and the mount was faired over with a clear Perspex patch, in the 'slot' for the gun mount at the trailing edge of the hatch window. However, as Joe said, the earlier G's did still retain the gun, but the hatch had a clear cover, unlike the open hatch of the F model.

On some B-17Gs, it was a "togglier" that controlled the chin turret. The "toggleir" was a gunner that would toggle or drop the bombs when the lead plane dropped theirs.

Not all B-17s later in the war carried bombadiers.

Bill G.

I was under the impression that only the lead bomber in the formation carried a bombardier, the other a/c having a toggleer who simply released the bombs on seeing lead release his. IS that the case, and if so, was it one bombardier per flight, squadron or wing?

On some B-17Gs, it was a "togglier" that controlled the chin turret. The "toggleir" was a gunner that would toggle or drop the bombs when the lead plane dropped theirs.

Not all B-17s later in the war carried bombadiers.

Bill G.
Very true Bill, and many people miss that fact, Imagine if one was on every bomber!
Cost: Carl L. Norden, Inc. charged $8,000 (in 1940's dollars) per sight during the war.

In 2008, $8,000.00 from 1943 is worth $99,562.08 using the Consumer Price Index.

However, as Joe said, the earlier G's did still retain the gun, but the hatch had a clear cover, unlike the open hatch of the F model
I was always under the impression that the radio operator gun on the G model was rarely used, am I right?

Not all B-17s later in the war carried bombadiers

So did the lead ship with the bombadier still use a chin turret, or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back