B-17, B-24, or Lancaster

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

i'm not camparing the lanc to the B-29 in this thread if i was gonna do that i would've done it in the other thread, i'm now simply trying to establish facts, and is it not a fact it was never done?

yes, it is, and one that i am not disputing, now i wish you would stop trying to make out like i'm making an argument here, i'm just trying to establish weather she did or not......

:lol:

Dont get your panties in a bunch. I would not have responded like that if you did not make 90% of your post that have to do with the Lancaster seem like you have to defend the Lancaster. No one here is disputing the capabilities of the Lancaster...

ATTENTION PLEASE. ANNOUNCEMENT TO BE MADE.

DO NOT MAKE POSTS ABOUT THE LANCASTER, WE DO NOT WANT TO HURT LANC'S FEELINGS. HE IS VERY SENTIMENTAL ABOUT THIS SUBJECT.

THANKYOU MANAGMENT

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:

Dont get your panties in a bunch. I would not have responded like that if you did not make 90% of your post that have to do with the Lancaster seem like you have to defend the Lancaster. No one here is disputing the capabilities of the Lancaster...

ATTENTION PLEASE. ANNOUNCEMENT TO BE MADE.

DO NOT MAKE POSTS ABOUT THE LANCASTER, WE DO NOT WANT TO HURT LANC'S FEELINGS. HE IS VERY SENTIMENTAL ABOUT THIS SUBJECT.

THANKYOU MANAGMENT

its

"Thank You, The Management"

I believe the B-29 did actually fly with two Grand Slams under it's wings. There's a picture that's a lot like that of two Tallboys. But until I find that picture, we shall assume it didn't. No evidence, no event - right?

Here is a pic of B-29 Wichita that carried a single Grandslam in the same modification that was made for the Lancaster.

This B-29 also was used to test and carry the 42,000lb T-12 bomb in the same fashion.

Early summer 1945, three Boeing B-29s were modified to carry a 22,000 lb Grand Slam on external bomb racks under each wing between the inboard engine and fuselage. After experiments at Eglin AAF in Florida, an order for fifty modified aircraft was placed. If the war hadn't ended with the dropping of the atom bombs, dual Grand Slam B-29s might have been available to see action over Japan by the first week of September. Postwar publicity photographs never show more than three of the dual bomb modified B-29s flying in a formation. That may have been all that were built. Another B-29 was modified so that the lower part of the double bomb bay section would permit the semi external carriage of one large bomb (Tallboy, Grand Slam or T-12?).

That is 42,000lb. Who was it up there that said the Lanc could carry more than the B-29?

Attachments

• wb29GrandSlam.jpg
    wb29GrandSlam.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 74
DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Here is a pic of B-29 Wichita that carried a single Grandslam in the same modification that was made for the Lancaster.

This B-29 also was used to test and carry the 42,000lb T-12 bomb in the same fashion.

I wonder if it had been used in Korea. I will ask on the B29 forum if any of the veterans have any details about it.

Heres the first answer I received from the B29 forum. This is quite interesting. I will post other reply's as they come in.

Note - I also included this information in my B29 thread.

I asked a question about this in the B29 forum and here is an interesting reply. As others come in, I will post them too.

("Mike Frey" <[email protected]>)
After WW2, the Grand Slam bomb was used with B-29s for practice bombing in Germany, to see if the bomb was capable of breaking through the heavily fortified submarine pens in Bremen. These particular missions had non-explosive "Grand Slam" bombs. US Military had former German POWs retrieve them (dig them out of the earth) so that they could be refitted with fins and reused.

This information comes directly from Phil Guay, my flight instructor, who was assigned to this activity after the Pacific war ended.

The Grand Slam appears to be the original "bunker buster" type bomb and had a few variations over the years.

Ken812 said:
Without a doubt, the almighty lanc. Come on, a max load of 22,000 lbs! Amazing!
Here we go again!:rolleyes:

The B-29 was the most advanced, fastest and heaviest carrying bomber of WW2. the lanc a distant second. The B-29 was at least a generation a head of the Lancaster and carried the same bomb load as the Lanc almost 60 mph faster.....

I think you need to read through some of these threads....

I'll wager the 29 could carry the same load with an engine out and maintain altitude all the Lanc with an engine out with 22000 pounds would do is beat the 29 at rate of descent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back