B-17 oil coolers air intakes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maxrobot1

Senior Airman
Sep 28, 2009
B-17 wing leading edges have six ports or intakes on each wing. I would guess that three are for each engine. What are the functions of each?
Where do they vent? With those big scoops the air has to exit somewheres. I recall that the four slot-like vents on the upper surface of the wings behind each engine was something about venting fuel tanks.
I saw in a training film that the engines air intakes were inside the wing and not a ram-air intake.
Is one intake for the supercharger intercooler?
Model kits just leave open holes into the wing with no details. None of the aviation books I have show that kind of detail.

Here's some pics...

image019.jpg

main.php

B-17 oil coolers image by radialicious on Photobucket

Thanks! I did find in the appendix of Ed Jablonski's B-17 book a reprint of a pilots handbook which shows that one intake was for the intercooler and one for the supercharger air but I think that there was a switch the pilot could use which would take air from the airfilter deep inside the wing rather than the ram air inlet. I guess this would be used at lower altitudes.
Was the turbo-supercharger on all the time or was it only used above a certain altitude?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back