B-17G to the B-17F.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
Hi guys,

I want to build the B-17F (When I finish everything else!!!!) Jersey Bounce Jr. and the kit I have is a B-17G. I really don't feel like shelling out the money for the proper F kit and was curious besides removing the chin gun how many other major changes will have to be made or should I just put out the 35-45 dollars and save myself the trouble?

I'd be willing to take the time to change it but its a matter of how practical is it....

Thanks.

Probably Lots of changes depending on the G model you have :shock:
Cheek Windows, upper turret, waist windows, tail turret
Would be a challenge to say the least :!:

Mike

Yep, it all depends on which kit of the 'G' you have. If it's an early #G#, with paralel waist windows and the standard tail gun position, then it's a fairly straight forward conversion. The main 'complication' would be the shape and position of the cheek windows, which isn't too difficult to do. The 'F' had a variation in the cheek windows, depending on build block and factory, but the early 'G' was basically an up-graded late 'F', if that makes sense?!!

Problem I can't find any pictures of this aircrafts midsection! Only profiles of sideviews and I don't know how accurate they are. Grrr. I really want to do this bird since it has a great story to go with it.

I think the hard part would be the nose. The Plexiglas on the 'F' has a much more elongated bullet shape to it, and also the first fuselage frame where the nose glass is attached is more circular than on the 'G' where this frame has more of a flattened spot at the bottom where the chin turret is. top turret could be the wrong type too. With this and the cheek windows I think it would be better to save up for a new 'F' model even if you had a 'G' with the proper waist windows and tail gun.

The picture is the B-7G that was modified to look like an 'F' and painted like Memphis Belle. They did a great job on the cheek windows, but you can see the flat spot on the bottom of the nose.

Attachments

• 90-a-1280.jpg
    90-a-1280.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Appreciate the response guys, will probably end up getting the F model and have to make decals.

Harrison I have to correct myself. I looked at some photos and it looks like that flat spot in the nose was present in earlier models also. I don't know how I got the impression that the earlier ones were different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back