B-17s Over the 100 Mission Count

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pong

Staff Sergeant
Sep 2, 2007
Manila, Philippines
Can anyone give me a list of Flying Forts that have finished over 100 Missions? The only B-17s I know of that exceeded the 100 count is the famous 'Nine O' Nine' and 'Wee Willie'.

B-17 G-35-BO #42-32090 Silver Dollar from 100 BG flew 102 missions. After damage in a taxiing accident 18th April 1945 it was officially written off as salavage but actually repaired and operated by 100 BG as a hack for several months after the end of the war in Europe. The mission markings extended almost the entire length of the fuselage from the nose to the tailplane.

303rd BG Thunderbird flew 112 Missions - is depicted at Smithsonian by Keith Ferris in full size painting at NASM in Washington DC.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 179
303rd BG Thunderbird flew 112 Missions - is depicted at Smithsonian by Keith Ferris in full size painting at NASM in Washington DC.

Thanks, and I remember I had saved a photo of the painting but never really took notice of it after.

Sorry to butt in here....but, how about the 100+ missions flown B-24's?

Yup, I didn't think of that. Let's add some Libs in here.

Thanks but this begs me to ask: What are the two hammer and sickle markings on the side for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back