B-17vsLancaster

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

some of the stuff the 17 had to put up with.....

funnily enough, i've read an article about the B-17 in the middle pic, it was shot because it left the protection of it's formation, and it never droped it's bombs in the end.........................

I read an article about a P-61 that was ordered to shoot down a B-29.

When the P-61 formed up on the right side it looked perfectly fine, but the crew were waving frantically. They moved to the left side and saw the problem...half the cockpit was missing and the pilot was exposed due to the damage to the nose. The P-61 led them back to Iwo jima I think it was and they bailed out, but the B-29 kept flying straight and level. They got the order to shoot it down and used all their ammunition on it, mostly concentrated on the left wing, and once they finished shooting it took a bit before it banked to the left into a death spiral. As one of the crew said, it was somewhat humiliating to almost be beaten by an unmanned B-29 within sight of Iwo :lol:

For me the B-17 fortress has to have been better than the lancaster. The plane served in just about every combat area in the war and often damaged ones were just patched up and sent back out. it did a great job bombing the German industrial areas....and in daylight!!! Just look at the arnamants as well:-thirteen .50cali machine guns as well as a normal load of 6000lbs of bombs...Well it made a mess of the jerries!

funnily enough, i've read an article about the B-17 in the middle pic, it was shot because it left the protection of it's formation, and it never droped it's bombs in the end.........................

with the amount of bombs a b-17 can carry, it doent matter if it dropped em or not :lol: sorry, couldnt resist :oops:

.....however i must make the point that the lancaster had a good tiem too....look at the dambusters....not to mention the load of about 20000lbs of bombs.....still i prefer the b-17...

well i do apologise....i really haven't got much of an idea as to what i am going on about as bronzewhaler will quite happily tell you. With 22000llbs of bombs whats a little mistake of 2000lbs gonna do :lol!: :lol!:

I must say JJ1982 has made some excellent points - the B-17 did have a reputation of being able to take a tremendous amount of damage (i beleive it too - i've seen some of the nightmarish pictures taken of B-17's returning home on one engine with half the tail missing!

Also their speed and range was excellent with very effective anti-fighter defenses

but you can't right off the lancaster which also had its advantages - it too had a good speed (excellent, reliable engines) good ceiling, good range - its armament wasn't great with no waist gunners or underbelly defences but its bombload was devastating and of course it was used for all sorts of bombing raids (noteably the bouncing bombs and tallboys etc...i can imagine that if we had dropped a nuke on the Nazis (we can only dream...) it would have been a lancaster that would have done it 8) i love them both - both great bombers

in order to make it to the target,the plane needs to fend off enemys,to do this you need armermeant. If there is none it doesnt matter how many bombs you can hold. And it also makes it so you cant get around in the plane belive me when i went in a lanc i had to duck down

the bomb bay was massive,just huge,you could fit a small car inside

but in the b-17,it was filled with so many guns and crew positions that there wasnt a really big bomb bay,but inside it is layed out way better than a lanc inside,the whole plane is layed out better,its way bigger in a 17 than a lancaster

i want an answer,lol

Viper said:
wrong it so would have been a b-29,a lanc ya right!!!

My god - your ignorance knows no bounds does it? tell me Viper - do you EVER have a clue what you're going on about? the Lancaster was ranked by experts the world over - not to mention the crews who used them, who lets face it know more than any of us do (and certainly you) as one of the best bombers of the entire war - so for you to stand there and say it wasn't that good is truly the words of someone who really doesn't have a clue - sad but true

](*,) :onlyamother:

Viper said:
in order to make it to the target,the plane needs to fend off enemys,to do this you need armermeant. If there is none it doesnt matter how many bombs you can hold. And it also makes it so you cant get around in the plane belive me when i went in a lanc i had to duck down

stop going on about the B-17 as if it was indestrucable - they got shot down in their thousands - plus have you ever actually been inside a B-17 - i have and if you think a lanc is cramped you should see a B-17 - you practically have to crawl to get inside anywhere - i bet half the time they got shot down cos the pilot got concussion from banging his bloody head!

Plus are you forgetting one of the best bombers of the war was the DH Mosquito - which by the way was made of wood and had NO ARMOUR or defensive turrets - so once again - you've been proved horribly wrong 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back