B-24 Liberator Diorama - 1/48th Scale.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That package will have a few miles on it then. Hope it turns up. Masterful work on the lettering Terry.

Thanks chaps - just hoping that Evri don't **** it up again, when the package eventually arrives back in the UK.
When it does, it will have covered around the same air miles as 12 missions from Old Buckenham to Berlin and back !!

Anyway, I'm still working on the final bits on the tanker, and I think I may fit the rear doors and the cab door at this stage, leaving the mirrors, connecting hoses and fuel hose until placing the unit into the diorama base.
I'll post some pics soon ..............

Got the cab door fitted, partly open. I'll try to fit the rear doors soon, once the matt clear and internal paint is fully dry.
Meanwhile, I've started on the first of the two trailers, which has taken a lot longer than I anticipated.

The oil tanker trailer - Part One.

As previously described, this is being cobbled together from the tanker back from the Airfix 1/72nd scale Bedford MWC truck, which works out quite well for a small tank trailer in 1/48th scale.
Some parts have been removed, as shown in the pics, and the kit subframe and mudguards have been adapted to suit the 1/48th scale wheels from the Revell RAF oil bowser.
A chassis was fabricated from "Evergreen" channel, and the drawbar from the Revell kit cut down and mounted inside the chassis rails. A small piece of plastic card was cemented in place behind the towing eye, after removing the handles, and this will be drilled to accept a scratch-built jockey wheel and pintle, although the wheel may be a steady plate, if I can't find a suitable wheel and yoke.
Still a bit to do, adding lids and hasps to the rear lockers, and adapting and fitting the pump handle and valve from the Revell kit, as well as making and fitting a suitable axle, and the Revell wheels.

Pics show the progress so far ...................

B-24 Diorama 266.JPG
B-24 Diorama 267.JPG
B-24 Diorama 268.JPG
B-24 Diorama 269.JPG
B-24 Diorama 271.JPG
B-24 Diorama 272.JPG
B-24 Diorama 273.JPG
B-24 Diorama 274.JPG
B-24 Diorama 275.JPG
B-24 Diorama 278.JPG

Yep, it's pretty small. Overall length including the draw bar is 45mm, with the tank section at 29mm.

I've got quite bit done on it today, with the axle fitted (lots of trial and error, and building up of mounting beams), the axle holes in the Revell 1/48th scale wheels bored out and plastic tube collars fitted to them, to allow a deeper fit for the axle, and the lids and latches for the rear lockers made and fitted.
I've just finished working on the first stage of the jockey wheel clamp and post, and this will definitely have a circular pad, instead of a wheel. I've also had to add stabiliser jacks at the rear, as the contraption is tail heavy, but it still looks authentic, as many trailers had these jacks - I well remember a fairly painful encounter with one on the British Army "Sanky" trailer !

I can't take any pics just yet, as the unit is precariously balanced whilst the parts set but, all being well, I'll be able to post some pics tomorrow, by which time the hand-pump from the Revell kit will have been adapted and fitted, and the jacks and wiring done, with the trailer ready for painting.

Thanks Hugh.

I'm not happy with the overall appearance of the oil trailer, as the rear jacks just look wrong.
I'm going to remove these, and then remove the draw bar, and re-locate it at the opposite end of the chassis.
This will allow the trailer to sit naturally on the front jockey post, and if there is still a lean towards the rear, then no problem, as it'll be fixed to the diorama base anyway.

Back when there' something to show ..................

The Oil Tanker Trailer - Part Two.

Got the changes done, and I'm much happier with the result.

The drawbar has been re-located to the opposite end of the chassis, and the pintle has had the steady pad added, along with the locking clamp lever.
The electrical cable for the tail lights was made from lead wire, threaded into a short length of "Albion Alloys" aluminium tube, with the tail lights themselves just slices of plastic rod, which will be painted gloss red.
Lids and a hasp have been added to the tops of the two lockers, and finally, the hand pump from the Revell RAF oil bowser was removed from the kit part, adapted and fitted to the rear of the tank. (the curved spout on the part was shortened and used to make the pintle locking lever.).
The wheels are just temporarily fitted to check balance, and a little more sanding and clean-up needs to be done, before painting the unit.
I hope to get the painting done later today.

B-24 Diorama 279.JPG
B-24 Diorama 280.JPG
B-24 Diorama 281.JPG
B-24 Diorama 282.JPG

Thanks very much chaps.
Andy, the RA is still affecting things, with stiff fingers, and some pain and discomfort after long sessions at the bench, but I just ignore it, and get on with the job as best I can. No use whinging about it, as that won't help !

Anyway, the first stage of painting has been done, brush-painted with a mix of Revell "Gelb Oliv" and Humbrol "Mid Stone" enamels, with a little re-touching required here and there. Next step is to dirty the wheels and tyres, fit the wheels, then gloss coat the tank, ready for decals. Once that's done, it'll be dirtied and weathered.

Pics show the trailer so far .............

B-24 Diorama 283.JPG
B-24 Diorama 284.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back