B-25 crash into the Empire State building.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Has there been any evidence to suggest that this event in some way inspired or provided information for the September 11 attacks?
The Empire State Building is not the only instance of aircraft striking tall buildings. On 20 May 1946, a USAAF C-45 (Beechcraft) flew into the Manhattan Trust Building (71 storeys), killing everyone onboard. Heavy fog and low vis were claimed to be the cause.

Then on 11 October 2006, Cory Lidle of the New York Yankees and another person were killed when their Cirrus SR20 flew into the Belaire Apartment Building (42 storeys), injuring one occupant of an apartment. It was determined that this collision was due to pilot error, as the weather was clear at the time.

But for inspiring the terrorists, I doubt it.

Most people don't even know about the two accidents involving the military aircraft, because few people pay attention to history.

Last edited:
9:55 AM, Saturday, July 28, 1945 B-25D 43-0577 "Old John Feather Merchant" Pilot- Lt. Col. William Franklin Smith, Deputy C.O. 457th Bomb Gp (H), crew chief Ssg.Christopher Domitrovitch and passenger Avaition Machinist's Mate 2nd Class Albert Perna hit the Empire State Building's 79th floor on the North, or 34th St. side. Speed approx. 250 MPH.
13 Dead, 26 injured.
B-25D all metal finish. no armament.

This is the really strange part
There is NO accident report on file for this! Not at the AF Historical Research Agency (AFRA) Not in the microfilms that contain all others.
AND
The widely reported aircraft ID of B-25 43-0577 or also reported as 41-30577, when checked against their Aircraft History Cards on file DO NOT match. 41-30577 card shows this plane being declared excess inventory in the ETO in October 1944. The record card for 43-3577 went straight to the Navy. So it can't be either one.
NO ACCIDENT REPORT NO ID ON THE SERIAL NUMBER OF THE AIRCRAFT.

so, does that mean it wasn't an accident (ie intentional????), or it never happened (crash? what crash!!!), or most likely that the records are just wrong/

It's not just the records but how they are organised and filed. Anyone who has looked for anything in our own National Archives will testify to this :)

Generally a pretty good job has been done, but some odd things turn up in odd places.

Cheers

Steve

If the B-25 Mitchell crashed into the Empire State Building, why didn't the Empire State Building collapse like the World Trade Center towers did on 9/11 (never mind that Hitler dreamed of crashing air launched planes into Manhattan's skyscrapers)?

If the B-25 Mitchell crashed into the Empire State Building, why didn't the Empire State Building collapse like the World Trade Center towers did on 9/11 (never mind that Hitler dreamed of crashing air launched planes into Manhattan's skyscrapers)?
Because it was a B-25 and not a Boeing 767 full of fuel.

Or as somebody already answered the same question before:
Logic (to whom it may concern):
"Apart from the fact that both catastrophes include skyscrapers being hit by planes, all other facts are dramatically different."

"It is besides any logic to compare the two events directly. Both the premise and proportion are untenable."
ESB-B25.jpg
ESB-B767.jpg

And Wahe, Hitler's dreams have nothing to do with this event as well.

And the B-25's fuel didn't catch fire.
There was a fire that still remains the record for the height of fire brought under control. Not an expert but I would thing the Planes that hit the towers were carrying more weight in fuel than the whole weight of the B-25.

Has there been any evidence to suggest that this event in some way inspired or provided information for the September 11 attacks?
When I first heard of the 9/11 attacks, this incident was the first thing that jumped into my mind, and I said so to the guy who worked next to me.

He told me "No, someone deliberately flew into the WTC", and then, the second plane hit.

We were both veterans, and we both knew what meant.

A 70 foot tall Gorilla named King Kong had been used in 1933 to stress test the brand new Empire State Building and after the tests local strengthening had been carried out. Unfortunately by 1973 when the World Trade Centre was brand new King Kong had retired to the Sunny Acres rest home in Florida and wasnt available to do the stress testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back