B-25G "Shark Mouth"; 1/48, Academy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Really great modelling Luis! I love your attention to detail and your creativity inorder to achieve this amounth of detail!

Another tumps up for the Quickboost replacements. I think they are among the best aftermarket you can get for a very fair price.
The are generally very accurate and well worth your money, they are well instructed and pleasant to work with end much less hassle then some other aftermarket. They also use a nice odorless dark grey resin that has more of less the properties of hard plastic with a superb amounth of detail.
Your words are very kind and flattering Jerry, I thank you. :thumbright:

Notice that I'm sure the day will come when I buy aftermarket for my models, and your references (and those of other forum friends) for the Quickboost replacements, they give me the peace of mind to see them. :idea:
While that arrives, I take as a challenge, a creative moment (as you say) and the opportunity to learn and practice, while I enjoy it and have fun.
Actually my Therapist is leading me on a good path.

Fraternal greetings to you and to Belgium. :thumbup:

I intend to get if finished in the not too distant future Luis.
The build stalled after I had problems with the final matt clear coat, but I intend to re-touch some areas, and then re-spray a new varnish, and get the model completed in a diorama.
Sure you will get ahead with this setback, which for your experience will be something fun as everyday.
It will be very interesting and entertaining to appreciate that diorama (and if you offer us the step by step, it will be enriching)

Saludos Maestro :thumbup:

Hello everyone!

... I am at this moment deeply working in the riveting of the complete plane !! :crazyeyes:
I have gone calmly so as not to despair and fall into errors that delay this stage (which in itself is slow), ... but sometimes I suspend and advance in something else; ... and now I take the opportunity to share what I intend to do to open those cowling panels and show off the interior of the right engine.

... A dry fit, to identify those panels, according to the photos of post # 119 and the wonderful images that have shared me here and PMs

99.jpg
100.jpg
101.jpg

... I have already identified the panels that I will remove ...

102.jpg
103.jpg
104.jpg

It will be a task that I will do later in the process, but I plan to make the holes with my Dremel, and then with files and sandpapers to make the exact measurements without hurting the adjacent panels. What do you think? :-k

I have even come up with the idea of making each of the five panels I am going to remove with styrene sheets.
... and right now I come to mind several ideas (I have mechanics from other kits and I can make a working cabinet to put those panels, ... etc.)...:cool:
Does anyone have an image of how these panels can be on the inside? I have not found them in the photos I have consulted.

Hasta pronto :thumbup:

I'm back with some photos.

This work of riveting is being long, but I think I'm not going so bad ... :laughing6:
This is one side of the wings. He has a very good job with the detail of the panels, but lacks "a lot" lines of rivets ...

105.jpg

I just finished the four sides of the wings ... (I only took a pair with the upper and lower part) ... a lot of rivet ... :crazyeyes:

106.jpg

... and follow the fuselage! :eek:

But to clear my mind a little, I worked on the panels of the engine that will be discovered ...

107.jpg
108.jpg
109.jpg
110.jpg

I did it like this because these two panels, I will keep them to exhibit them next to the plane.

111.jpg

The 3 panels that I will cut from the back section of the cowling, I already did them with a piece of thin styrene sheet. Thanks to the formidable images provided by George and Wojtek, I will be able to detail that inner part of the five panels. You can see that all the exits of the exhaust pipes are not yet there; I must make the holes and thin the walls of these a little.

In this dry fit, we can see that I have space to venture into the task of detailing the interior!

112.jpg
113.jpg

It will be the first time I do something like that ( 8-[ ), I already had a similar experience with the open turbine of my Me-262, but this is going to be something more serious. :-k

Well, it's all for now, regards.

Seguimos en contacto :thumbup:

Nice work Luis. The riveting looks good, what tool are you using?
Thanks Kirby, I bought this tool in a small modeling shop, I really took advantage of it and it caught my attention as indicated by the handle "1/48".
At the first opportunity, I upload a photo. ;)
I even bought another one with more separation between the teeth that I also use from time to time.

Saludos :thumbup:

Nice work Luis, and brought back memories. I opened the cowl panels on an old Revell B-25 many years ago, but unfortunately that model has long gone to the 'bone yard' !

"Life is memories" Terry, it must have been very satisfying for you to have done it.
During my life as a youth I put together a little bit of everything, but I always liked the WWII military aviation. And I can tell you that all that production of young years, ended in the "bone yard"
The few planes that I have finished in this my renewed return to modeling, I think I will take care of them almost like my children.

Feliz Viernes!! :thumbup:

Nice work Luis. The riveting looks good, what tool are you using?
Thanks Kirby, I bought this tool in a small modeling shop, I really took advantage of it and it caught my attention as indicated by the handle "1/48".
At the first opportunity, I upload a photo. ;)
I even bought another one with more separation between the teeth that I also use from time to time.

Saludos :thumbup:
My dear Kirby, I apologize for uploading the photos so far. :oops:

These are the tools I have to make rivets.
The one with the wooden handle is the one that I use first and foremost.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Volviendo a mi terapia... :headbang:

Seasonal commitments begin, plus I've got into complications with my idea of showing the inside of the right engine.

Cultural question: is it also called cowling to that part that covers the back of the engine? Or does it have another name?
I made the rivet lines on the right side of the cowling before removing the three plates ...

114.jpg
115.jpg

To make the back wall, I practiced the measurement with cardboard until I found the right size and fit.
116.jpg

Then I proceeded to make the piece with an expired credit card. Later I will show you the skills I did to try to make as much detail as possible in that part ... :crazyeyes:

While I leave you with this image that helped me to create this structure for the assembly of the engine

012b25.jpg

It is worth mentioning that I have not had the time to continue with the riveting ... and I lack enough, besides the whole fuselage, there is the left part of the right engine; all the left engine and the rear stabilizer :-k... (so there is still way to go)

See you soon. :thumbup:

This looks like it's going to be quite nice Luis - good work so far.
Regarding the cowling and other structure - the entire 'pod' housing the engines on multi-engine aircraft is known as the nacelle, with those removable panels covering the engine itself, whether radial, in-line or 'V', being called cowlings or cowl panels.
On a radial engine, the extreme, open front of the cowling area is called the cowl ring, although on some engine types, such as on the Beaufighter and Halifax, this ring was part of the exhaust system, into which each individual cylinder exhaust pipe led, and was known as the (exhaust) collector ring. This collector ring would have a single exit exhaust leading aft from its rear edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back